Poulan Pro Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start

We have 2004 Poulan Pro 18.5 hp, 42 inch cut. I got it out to start the mowing and it won't start. The starter will engage, but will not crank. When we put the jump cable to the starter it spins. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem may be? I would greatly appreciate it. I'm 67, live on my little SS check and unemployment with no work in sight. Thanks a bunch.

By Carla from Winnabow, NC

We were having trouble with our mower, turned out to be the gas, we put gas that had ethanol in it!

Drained the tank and put in new gas with no ethanol, works beautifully.

I have a Polan Pro Riding mower. It will not start-no noise or anything. I replaced the selenoid, fuse, battery, and key switch. Still nothing. Can you give me any other suggestions. I have no way to get it to a shop so I am trying to fix it on my own.

February 26, 2012 Flag

My mower just died. It will turn over, has gas, and a good battery. Any suggestions?

By Deb

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2011 Flag

I have a Poulan riding lawn tractor that I just replaced the ignition switch on. The mower would not even turn over. The battery is fully charged. The ignition made a clicking noise when I installed it and after a couple of tries it will not turn over again. Any ideas?

By Carol from Bloomington, IL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 23, 2010 Flag

I have a Poulan lawn tractor. I was having trouble starting it so I decided to charge it for 24 hours. I was still having trouble turning over and then I heard a loud popping noise and then nothing. I thought it was the battery so I replaced it and still nothing. Is the starter going out or is it the solenoid?

By Marc from Lexington, KY

Answers:

The "popping" noise you heard, was probably a fuse.
Other than your carburetor backfiring due to the air gap being too large, I don't see it being anything else. (09/15/2010)

By revravyid

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 29, 2010 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding mower, with an 18 hp Briggs and Stratton engine and it won't start. It will turn over, but no fire to the spark plug. It has a new plug and coil. It is getting gas. Please help!

John

Answers:

My new coil was bad! I put another new coil on and now it is running great. (06/21/2010)

By MrBandit

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2010 Flag

I have an almost new Poulan PRO riding mower. It has the 19 hp Briggs and Stratton Intech motor. When you start it, it grinds over and over and doesn't try to fire. It also backfires while grinding. Could the pin be sheared? Please help.

By Shane from Booneville, KY

Answers:

First take out the spark plug and wipe it off. Over winter some moisture can get in there. If that doesn't work replace the plug. (05/17/2010)

By tlmathis

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 16, 2010 Flag

I have a Poulan Pro riding mower. I have replaced the switch, charged the battery and the fuse I found is good, but when I turn the key I get nothing.

By Tom from GA

Answers:

When you say you replaced the switch, do you mean the solenoid? If not I would check that, also check to make sure the wire that goes to the seat safety device is plugged in good. Clean your battery post connections. (04/16/2010)

By NCTyphoon

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 16, 2010 Flag

My 18hp Poulan pro riding mower won't start. I replaced the spark plug, both belts, fuel filter, cleaned air filter, and cleaned rust off the flywheel. It has a Craftsman engine. I could not find the 20 amp fuse although it was supposed to be attached to the wiring harness beneath the dash. I removed the muffler and checked it. I don't know what else to try. The few times it would start it would not run at full power. Any solutions? Thanks.

By clarcov08 from Memphis, TN

Answers:

If the 20 amp system fuse blows, the mower will not make a sound will not turn over nothing. If it does turn over, spray a shot of starting fluid into the carburetor and try to start. If it runs and dies, you have a fuel problem. If it does not try to start, you have a problem with the electrical system. But now you know which way to troubleshoot. Let us know which it is and we can go from there.

Jim (06/08/2009)

By jdj599

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2009 Flag

I have a Poulan Lawn Mower with a 22hp Briggs engine. When I turn the key I get a buzzing sound and it does not turn over. The buzzing occurs when the seat is depressed. Is there a way to bypass the safety switch or to fix this problem?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Troubleshooting a Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMarch 15, 2011
Photo of a push lawn mower.
Fixing a Lawn Mower That Won't Start
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 8:42:01 PM on 10.0.0.76 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.