Can you grow roses from seed?

Can anyone tell me if you can grow roses from seed. I have been gardening for a few years and only just the other day noticed seeds falling from my rose bush. I did not know roses even had seed.

Best Answer

Here are some good articles that has a lot of information about it:

- Susan from ThriftyFun

Best Answer

Yes, you can! :) Some roses form hips, (the little balls after the rose fades), and inside there are seeds. When the hip is ripe (reddish color) pick it and carefully cut it open. There are the seeds! :) Not all the seeds will grow, but it is interesting to see what you get especially when you grow seed from a hybrid rose (most of what you buy at the stores are hybrids, so the "babies" will generally not look like the parent plant. Good Lick! :)

Best Answer

As rosemom said the seeds may not be the same as the "mother" plant, but that is not all bad. Many new roses started as "accidents". Many years ago I ordered some rose seeds from Thompson & Morgan; the only catalog I found that actually had rose seeds. The catalog did state that the germination is very slow and not all seeds would germinate and produce roses.

I was patient and did have 4 roses grow and bloom. They were pink mini roses and they actually bloomed when the plants were only about 6 inches high. Perfect little rose buds and roses. After they were a few months old I planted them in my garden. They are still growing and beautiful and this has been over 10 years. The key with starting plants from seeds is...don't give up and keep trying new things and have fun.

want to grow roses from seed's. have beautiful yellow climer, limbs are 10 foot high and 5 years old, rose hip are size of crab apple; would like to see what we can grow from it. thanks. grace

this is not a seed, this is the rose it self , after it blooms and when start foling apart. it dose form alittle ball like a seed.

Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Home and Garden Gardening RosesOctober 9, 2004
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate