Cleaning Carpets and Keeping Them Clean

Does anyone out there have a good suggestion for getting and keeping carpets clean? I have scrubbed with Resolve and then sprayed with a mixture of water and vinegar, then soaked that up with paper or cloth towel. It works well but then the area gets dirty again. Any suggestions?

Boy do I ever know what you mean. I'm in the same boat. The only thing I can suggest is using throw rugs in high traffic areas. And scheduling lots of "exercise" time (carpet cleaning time). Sometimes I just use a bucket of soapy water and a brush and do the worst spots and what really helps the ol' knees is using one of those pads for gardening. --Jayne

Janitor supply warehouses carry a "scotch guard" that you can buy ... only thing is you have to buy a case which is four (gal) bottles for around $95.00. You do have to put it in a sprayer, much like the carpet people do. Check to see if you have friends that would like to split an order with you.

I checked with several carpet stores and they said they do not sell it!

Hope this helps.

I've had luck getting spots out of carpet (and furniture) with baby wipes. Any brand is fine. If the dirt reappears in the same area, I wonder if what you are currently cleaning with leaves a soap-type reside that would attract more dirt?

I put newspaper over my cleaned carpet for a couple of days to make sure it was really dry. Then I sprayed with ScotchGard. It helped a lot.

From what I heard it is better to steam clean your carpets without any cleaner. If you use some kind of cleaner, you have to make sure that you clean that area really well or the cleaner will stay adhered to the carpet and attract dirt.

I bought a can of scotch guard in walmart not to long ago and it is not that costly

I use a low-suds laundry detergent to pre-treat real bad areas, then go over them again with vinegar and water to get the soap residue out of the carpet (that's why your cleaned carpets get dirty faster.)

You can also pre-treat with laundry pre-treatment products like shout and spray and wash. If you use a carpet shampooer that you have warm water in, you can use oxi-cleaner in the water.

Test anything you use on a part of carpet that can't be seen. You do not need a lot of soap to clean with 1 OZ to a gallon of water

By Dee

I came up with a way to clean even years-old spots out of carpets. For lack of anything else handy to use one time I used my Super Steamer (the hand held kind with the long pointy nozzle that blows a blast of steam) on a dark red spot on my beige carpet where my dog had thrown up overnite. It cleaned it up in seconds and I couldn't even tell it had ever been there!

I started going around trying it on other older spots. Found one that I'm sure had been there for years, and it cleaned that right up too! I got all the spots up, and now I just do normal carpet shampooing every so often. I've even hired pros to come in and clean my carpets and they didnt' get these stains up. But my Super Steamer sure did!

October 5, 2011 Flag

I am looking for ways to keep my carpet clean.

By Delore

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Shoes off when entering house.Rugs at all enterances. Outside door mats. Vaccuum frequently at least twice a week.

Yeah, shoes to be taken off at the door. Be careful of pets. Have throw rugs down where heavily walked areas are. Vacuum, of course, and be careful with kids. We all know what they are capable of spilling!

The best way is to never eat in the room with your carpet. Then, make everyone takes off their shoes when they come inside. Give them house slippers and enforce the rule. The cleanest houses you will ever see are the ones where people take off their shoes when they come inside.

I noticed when I had the artificial turf (green carpeting) covering my patio floor, just outside my den, the carpet inside was much cleaner. Walking over the artificial turf took the dirt off the shoes before entering the house.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJanuary 1, 2005
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Remote Control on White Background
Cleaning a Remote Control
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Man Steam Cleaning a Carpet
Saving Money on Carpet Cleaning
🎉
🎄