Name Tag Ideas for Clothes

I'm a foster parent and when children come into my home they sometimes come with a bag of clothing. I also have to spend a certain dollar amount each month buying them brand new clothes. When they leave my home I have to make sure they take all the clothes they came with plus any I have bought for them.

I'm looking for ways to put their names on the clothing. I dont want to mark directly on the fabric and ordering special embroidered name tags don't work for me since some kids only stay a short time. Maybe some ideas on what type of pen or fabric to use that will last and not fall apart in the wash?

Diane from Sanger, CA

You can go to walmart or any fabric store and buy tags that you can add to clothing and they sell special pens for writing on them...I would ask the people at walmart or a fabric/craft store....they are reasonable in price also!

Good luck!

http://www.elli  amp;ideanum=7039

The above link links to someone who sells 9"x12" sheets of iron-on transfer fabric; perhaps you could get some white iron-on fabric and use that and a fine-tip Sharpie marker to make your own iron-on name tags?

They sell laundry markers that don't wash off. I like to mark (even just an initial will do it) on the tags instead of the clothes. There is usually a blank side or a place where it won't obscure the laundry instructions. Lots faster and easier than sewing or ironing on labels.

Hi, I use a special marking pen that is permanent called "Rub A Dub". It looks like a felt pen. I write the name on a piece of light colored knit material (doesn't ravel). Then I cut out a rectangle around the name and sew that into the neck or waistband of the clothing. I usually make up around 10 or the names and cut them out so they are ready to sew in as needed. I am just using a scrap of material that I had, so the only cost is for the pens, which last a long time. Loretta

I was going to post the same as jessica,but will now just add that walmart also sells the tags that iron on.Use the laundry makers they sell and wala quick and cheap.bless you for being a foster parent. I pray the rewards outweigh the heartaches. JAN

I just use a medium or fine permanent marker to write my girls' names on their clothes. It lasts through the laundry and is cheaper than a laundry marker.

All the postings sound practical but how about this: go ahead and order the inexpensive iron on labels ahead of time and pick out sweet pet names you can apply to them while you have them like Sweetie Pie or Blondie or Mr. Baseball or Diva Chick or whatever. Makes them feel special and solves your dilemma with labeling. Just a thought! May God bless your family and foster kids!

Sharpies come in an array of beautiful fun colors now. Just buy a 10 pack at Walmart and pick a color for each child that comes in. That can be their special color for everything, cups, toothbrushes, etc. Put one dot on the tag of each piece of clothing, or on the collar or waistband, even one dot on the toes of socks. When that child leaves, cycle that color through to another child down the line. Good luck!

I mark my clothing on the tags with a sharpie because I can't tell the difference between black and very dark blue in the early hours of the morning. The sharpie marks last for years.

How about putting the child's initials in extra fine point sharpie on the tags?

If there isn't a tag, you can select a seam and mark that.

I have used colored dental floss on the tags in shirts for my foster children. Just loop the floss on the tag of the shirt and tie a knot so it does not slip off in the wash.

Thank you all so much for all the wonderful ideas. This should help me out.

When I did foster care, I would mark on the tags of the children's clothes. I always put their first initial on the tag, or if there were more than one with the same first initial, I would do the intials for the first and last name. I used Sharpie brand markers and never had to remark the clothing, as the marks lasted very well on the tags.

I have marked black or other dark colored clothes with whiteout. It does not wash out.