AdviceGardening

Flat Ground Cover

I would like to plant a ground cover that stays flat on the ground so we do not have to cut or mow. I would love to do it once and never again. Actually this is an un-gardening request. Anyone have any ideas?

Linda from Brooklyn, New York

Creeping Jenny (aka Pennywort) will work well. It likes a more moist environment, but it's pretty adaptable once established. Also, ajuga, mondo grass, or irish moss could work.

My favorite ground cover is Mother of Thyme. It forms a dense mat of green, is very low to the ground, is hardy enough to be walked on, and it smells good too! As Beth suggested, Ajuga is a nice ground cover too. It spreads quickly and is hardy; even when my husband does hit it with the lawn mower it recovers nicely. It also flowers in the spring and the hummingbirds like it.

Try oregano. It flowers, stays close to the ground and grows like crazy.

All the greenhouses in my area have plants they call "Steppables" which are spreading, low ground cover that you can walk on. There are many different varieties.

When I first read your request, I thought of cement.

Actually, I'd be very interested in seeing what people suggest. There might even be some bug repellents if herbs are used.

Here are a few you might try. One is called Walk on Me or Mohter of Thyme. You actually can walk on it and it won't hurt it. Another is Radiant Manzanita.

Another is Juniperus but they grow in different heights so you have to be careful which one you get. And an old fashioned favorite is periwinkle.

Periwinkle (Vinca) it is very vigorous, looks atractive, and you cannot kill it! Works in full sun equally as well in full shade....good luck.

Thank you everyone. I have already looked up some of these and I will look up the rest. I thought of cement, too...but it's VERY expensive to do all the areas I need to do.

Ajuga looks great and pennywort, too.

How about moss? You could put a few stepping stones down, and surround them with moss. And maybe a few fragrant herbs. Incidentally, you're my kind of (un)gardener. If it weren't for perennials, my yard would be - oh, I don't even want to think about it.

For the past two years my front lawn has been all wildflowers, like a meadow. This year I am putting in all lavender, no mowing , smells great, and looks great.

Check with your local plant provider -- see if they have 'Asiatic jasmine' which is a hardy vining groundcover. The leaves are solid green, green and cream, solid cream. It can grow up a trellis (I read that it will flower if growing vertically). It can be mowed or trimmed with a weed-eater, and it can be walked on. You can trim pieces to root and grow your own!

Is there any particular time to plant the groundcover? Can I buy the plants or seeds? Thanks

My favorite ground cover is Lambs Ear. I'm not a fan of vine coverings and this is a great alternative to that! So pretty and soft. And of course looks just like a lambs ear.

Whoa! Don't use concrete for ground-cover! One of the problems with development is the serious reduction in permeable surface; rainfall needs to make its way into the soil. Concrete with astro-turf is not a good alternative to a lawn.