Trouble Shooting an Electrical Switch Problem

I have a light pole near my dock with one plug outlet near the top. The switch for that light pole is on the outside wall of my pool deck. On the house that is near my backdoor, there are 2 switches in that box and one is for that pole and the other for the pool lights that change colors.

My friend plugged in a 5 hp compressor into that pole and blew something because now I have no power to the pole or the pool lights. The breakers are not tripped, I re-set them all and still no power, I checked the current and there is no power getting to those 2 switches on my back wall, what could it be now? Thanks so much for any info.

By John2112 from Cape Coral, FL

John, I don't think your friend 'blew something' as much as he/she burned something. This is a job for a professional, someone with the high-end tracking tools to find where the burn-out is. Make sure to contract with someone who is licensed in your area and the state, and check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure you aren't accidentally hiring a shady character.

You might want to shut the power feed off to that area as well to keep the fire hazard down until you can get a pro in there to find out what and where the trouble is.

1. Is this a ground fault outlet/switch? if so there is another breaker for it at the pole not just at the breaker box, many times they look fine but you need to press them

2. It sounds like you have a plug/s run by 2 switches. If this is right they are called 3 way switches (why not 2 way? who knows some guy named them <g>) 3 way switches cost more than standard switches make sure you are getting the right one. When you take it down take a picture or draw it (or both) because if you get the wires in wrong spot one switch works the other won't. (DH did not listen to me.)