Freeze Fresh Herbs Into Cubes

I always have so much basil in my garden and it can turn black so fast. Here's what I do to have that garden-fresh basil flavor all year. I put fresh, cleaned basil leaves in the blender with just enough water to blend it to a thickened paste. I then pour the paste into ice-cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, I transfer cubes into zip-lock bags and store in the freezer. One cube equals about a small handful of basil leaves. I keep a couple of extra ice cube trays just for this.

I do a lot of Indo-Pak cooking so I also make a spice paste that is integral to that cuisine called "green masala" (which is a combination of cilantro, green chiles, mint, and fresh ginger root) using this same method.

Hint: Get odors out of ice-cube trays by soaking in hot water with a bit of dishwashing liquid and a few drops of bleach. Rinse well. No more blackened, wasted basil!

By douet from Clifton, NJ

Herbs
Freezing Herbs
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesJuly 21, 2010
Homemade Sugar Cubes
Making Homemade Sugar Cubes
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Frozen Bouillon
Homemade Frozen Bouillon Cubes
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
🎉
🎄