Puppy Is Losing Hair

I have a Pomchi (15 weeks old). As soon as we got him at 8 weeks old he started to lose fur on his face and then around his bottom and back legs. The hair on his face has grown back but the hair on his back legs and bottom has not. He has very dry itchy skin on his back also that flakes.

I have seen remarks on how to cure itchiness but I don't know what to do about the hair loss. His coat is really sparse all over. He has very short fuzzy, soft hair that would be only 3/4 in. long. Actually he really doesn't look like what I though I was getting. Any suggestions?

Laura from Hornsby, Australia

Your little pup needs more fiber in his diet. Most dog foods overlook it as a necessity in the diet. Keep in mind, however, that excessive dietary fiber can have negative effects, including gas, increased stool volume or density, and loose stools. My god mother had a Yorkie pup who did the same thing. After a few weeks on a more nutritious diet your pups hair should grow back.

If your puppy is part smooth coat chi then they a lot of times have no hair in those areas. We have mixed Chi's with Peqs,and poodles. Their hair is also sparce in some areas. I wouldn't worry unless you see a rash or something. The picture is of Moses he is a Chi/Poodle mix. The best of both. I gave him as a birthday gift to my best friend.

If you can find it, try a product called "The Missing Link". It is a dietary supplement. It worked wonders for my Bischon with a similar problem. I purchased it a 1800pedmeds.com, but I recently found it a Petsmart as well.

It is worth a try for sure!

Not sure why no one has suggested an assessment by a vet. To me, if you are concerned, that's the first place to go. To me, hair loss on a pup seems relatively serious and might need professional care. If expense is a problem, you could try the suggestions about improving the nutrition of his diet,by supplements or fibre.

Sounds to me like he has mange. I would take him to a vet, cause there are different kind of mange. It is easily cured and you will have a very happy puppy on your hands.

Sounds like you bought the puppy at a pet store, ie. puppy mill puppy. Yes, definitely go to a vet.Hair loss is serious.

I agree...get him to a vet.

Please take your puppy to a vet. He needs to be examined by a professional.

I agree with the diet; make sure he has omega 3's in it for the dry skin. Put some tea tree in his shampoo. If it's mange or anything else like that, the tea tree will kill it and still be gentle on his skin. Just make sure to keep it out of his eyes. Allow enough time for the fur to grow back. My dog had an allergy and lost all of her fur. You may want to check that avenue out.

It's possible that with the curing of the itching, the hair will be allowed to grow back.

If there doesn't seem to be any problem other than a little dermatitis and a little hairloss (in other words, no redness, raw areas, etc) I'd try getting rid of the itching and work on fixing up the flaking skin.

If you arean't seeing a difference in a week or two, I'd take your little one to the vet. It's possible there's a mange problem. Mange can be caused by a few things, nervousness, a fungal skin infection (caused by having been allowed to be dirty... like fecal kind of dirty) or by a tiny tiny reddish mite called a mange mite.

Your vet should be able to help with all of them!

Good Luck!

My yorkie did the same thing, he was allergic to the dog food. I changed it and his hair grew back out.

Hi,

I want to thank you all so much for your advice. From the start I had him at the vet (tested for mange and other things possible), changed food, put him on supplements with essential oils in it, bought special shampoo but nothing seemed to work. Finally now his hair has returned to his face but his back legs are very sparse. I have contacted pomchi breeders and they have told me, like replies from this forum, that chihuahuas sometimes do this and when the fur comes in it is usually better fur. So now I feel more at ease. I will keep an eye on him and he will be back at the vet in another 2 weeks for his next vaccination and check so they will give him another check then.

Once again thank you all for your support....

Regards, Laura - Sydney Australia

My Yorkie is losing hair and has dandruff. I don't know what to do.

I've answered many questions with the same answer and I sound like a broken record, but I've had this problem with my dog and it's the only thing that works. It is a product called nzymes and found at nzymes.com. Great results in a few months with the sparce fur and also dry, itchy skin or flaky skin. The products are wonderful. A lot of pet food is unhealthy for our animals and has by-products in them that is who-knows-what. Try the nzymes. Cost for a kit is around $100.00 to begin, but will last at least 6 months. I think you will see a great difference within a few months.

Sounds like mange to me. There is a special, medicated shampoo that you need to use if that is the case.

Hello,

I read many people telling you that your dog has mange. Well, only your veterinarian can give you the correct answer. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your fur-baby in for an examination. Your veterinarian will probably take a skin scraping and put it under the microscope to determine what is causing the hair loss. Your veterinarian can also prescribe the correct treatment. Good luck with your beloved puppy.

Please take your puppy to the vet! I had a Chow that lost her fur. We had her to 5 vets. She was treated for allergies & continued to lose fur. I actually counted the hair she had on her body & it was less than 100 hairs per square inch. Finally, a vet did a very expensive test that determined she had Cushings Disease. We almost lost her. Treatment continued for the rest of her life - 14 years!

March 22, 2012 Flag

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have a dachshund and have been battling itching, scratching and crusted skin for about 2 1/2 years. Went on GreatDaneLady.com and she had some very good advice about these conditions.

Take your dog for a thryroid test if that turns out good. Go on Nzymes.com and get the nzymes pak for allergies and within 6 months using the above in conjunction with shampoo and 4 Health or Blue dog food she is living a very good life relatively scratch free. Like some one else said the dog food you buy in the grocery store or pet store is full of stuff they don't need. Great Dane Lady is a very good source of information. Good luck!

Best Answer

This sounds a lot like a food allergy. But it also could be thyroid. There are good posts on this site about alternative diets for food allergy. My dog was allergic to many foods and I ended up feeding him brown rice and canned salmon until he died at 17 years old. I had to figure this out on my own. The vets dont study much about alternative diets.. Good luck.

Here are some sites to look at to see if they offer some help.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/hair-loss-in-dogs-causes-diseases

I would be interested to know how the tests turned out for the dog. I would wonder also if the dog is allergic to wheat or corn. Most dog foods are chock full of by products.

Start feeding him food that has no grain or wheat in it and only meat and not meat by products. The meat should be in the first three ingredients. The closer to the top the meat is listed, the better the food.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having problems. I am also wondering if he is allergic to something in the environment.

I give my dogs 1 to 2 mg of benadryl per pound of their weight when they have allergies. I would probably do one and a half mg of benadryl per pound of your dog.

Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine. It is used for the treatment of allergiesand atopsy, primarily to stop itching.

(Atopy is an allergy to something that is inhaled, such as pollen or house dust; also called 'inhalant allergy.') It may also be used to control vomiting and motion sickness, as a mild sedative, and to treat muscle tremors due to certain toxins or medications.

Contact your veterinarian if your pet experiences sleepiness, agitation, a rapid heart beat, depressed respiration, an inability to urinate, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite while being treated with diphenhydramine.

Benadryl for Dogs or Cats

Benadryl is a brand name for an anti-histamine (diphenhydramine). Although it is considered fairly safe for use in dogs and cats, please be aware that it does have potential adverse side effects. It may interact with other meds that your pet is taking, so do not use it without first consulting your veterinarian. You should also use extreme caution using Benadryl in dogs that have glaucoma, prostatic disease, cardiovascular disease or hyperthyroidism.

Benadryl is quite effective when used in proper dosages.

Stops itching

Controls vomiting

Good for motion sickness

Can be used as a mild tranquilizer

Good for snake bites

Useful for vaccination reactions

Good for bee stings and insect bites

Be sure to use only the plain Benadryl formula. Giving benadryl with other combination of meds could be fatal, so be sure to read the box. Make sure is is Bendadryl ONLY, not a combination of pain relievers.

Liquid Benadryl is too high in alcohol content to be safely used for animals. Please use capsule or pill form.

This information was from a site I found. I don't agree with their dosage,

but it is true to get ONLY benadryl.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061029124604AApIirY

Do not use oatmeal shampoo on the dog ever in case it is a skin yeast infection.

Give the dog yogurt on a regular basis without sugar substitutes in it.

Make sure you are keeping the dog to the vets to find out what the tests results were.

Also give your dog a little bit of olive oil, just a little drop or two poured into your hand every day. This will moisturize them from the inside out.

If I find anything else out, I will let you know.

What kind of surfaces is your dog laying on and what do you clean the floors with?

Blessings, and good luck!

Here also are some other posts that some readers have written that helped their little dogs.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf84397095.tip.html

You might try the bottled water too. Blessings,

September 13, 2011 Flag

Please help me. My 7 month old Malamute mix puppy is losing so much of her fur. Even being the breed she is, she has never been a big shedder. Then all of a sudden, she was losing all her fur. At first I thought it was just normal shedding. So I brushed her and didn't think much about it.

Then I started to notice so much fur. Where she is losing the fur, the new fur is not nice and thick and fluffy, but very thin and coarse. She had lost the most on the top of her back. On her sides is still furry, but it is going too. I can just barely pull on it and get heaping clumps of fur. It just seems really wrong. Please help me.

By Karlie

Take the dog to a vet to have it checked out...there are numerous causes for a dog losing its fur when it's more than just shedding. Obviously, your dog has a need for medical evaluation more than guessing/treating this issue. Skin/food allergies, nutritional deficiency or other health concerns all of which need a vet's diagnosis.

Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 11, 2008
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂