Recycled Hanging Planter

One day I was looking at a large empty can of tomatoes that I was ready to throw in the recycling bin then for one reason or another I decided to paint it. This led to me making a hanging planter for a friend who I was giving a plant to from cuttings. Here's how to do it!

You'll need:

• 1 large clean empty can (from tomatoes, beans, etc)
  • nail and hammer
  • acrylic paint and brush (from dollar store)
  • Ad
  • stickers
  • any kind of strong thick cord

Instructions:

1. Clean out the can and remove the label. Sometimes there can be some of that glue left that is tough to get out, I use something called "Goo Be Gone", but someone told me rubbing alcohol has done the trick too though I haven't tried it.
  2. Dry the can and paint the outside, either just one colour or use one base colour and you can paint things like flowers, rainbows, and anything else you can think of on there. Make sure the base coat is about 3-4 coats if possible and dry can between each coat. It won't look perfect, but that's OK because it will be original! If you have varnish you can coat the can too.
  3. With a hammer and nail, poke three holes around the top ridge of the can, with each hole being the same distance apart as other holes or else the plant won't hang right.
  4. Cut three pieces of cord, all the same size (whatever length you choose).
  5. Tie one cord to each hole with a few knots so it's well secured.
  6. Bring the loose cords together and tie them together with a big knot. Then a bit higher close to the top, make another knot. Now you have a secured hole to hang the plant.
  7. Decorate with stickers, glitter, or anything else you have on hand.
  8. Put a nice small plant in there (make sure it is already in it's own container, the hanging planter is just for decoration.

This would be a great craft for kids/parents to do together!

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

I had some large cans that I wanted to use, filled with geraniums, for planters on my porch. I loved the original labels on the cans, so I just used a decopadge (sp?) glue to cover the labels and permenently seal them on the cans. Worked great and there was no need to even paint the cans, which worked well for me.

I use my spaghetti sauce jars for drinking. I have other decent glasses but these are sturdy and good for those frequent trips to the water jug. I also measure the water into my percolator with one of them. They make nice containers for plants which need to be rooted in water. I will try your tip with one of my many cans. Thanks! I can remember a time when cans of all sorts were used for many things. I'm glad ot see people getting back to that.

Tin Can Man Being Constructed
Crafts Using Aluminum (Tin) Cans
Crafts Garden & Yard PlantersJuly 16, 2008
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Geraniums in old wheelbarrow planter.
Making a Wheelbarrow Planter
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
A hanging bottle planter
Making a Plastic Soda Bottle Hanging Planter
🎉
🎄