Flavoring Sun Tea

How do I flavor my sun tea? I loved the Lemon Ginger sun tea I made over the weekend, but I'm sure there is a less expensive way to achieve similar results. I used individual tea packets that are lemon-ginger flavored. I have less expensive family-sized tea bags which I'd like to use. Would I just add some lemon slices and ginger slices to the sun tea jar before putting it out in the sun? If so, how many slices of each would I use? Do any of you have other tea flavoring ideas that you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them! I'm in the mood to try different tastes. Thanks.

By Tsiegl from Ashland, OR

You have the right idea, just experiment with the lemon and ginger slices. Start out with a small amount and add more until you like the taste. It's hard to say exactly how much to use as I may prefer mine with less of a lemon taste while you may like a strong flavor.

When making iced tea I use regular black tea bags but will often add one flavored tea bag. This gives a nice hint of flavor yet it's still economical.

I like mint sun tea. I pick fresh mint leaves, wash them, roll them in my hand to help them release more flavor, and add to the tea jar to steep. I use about 6 leaves per quart of tea. When the tea is ready, scoop out the leaves and enjoy. Have used a tea ball, and put the mint leaves in loose. Loose seems to give more flavor

Omanana: Thanks for your response. Do you add a reguar tea bag or anything like that or just the 6 mint leaves?

Bacteria thrive in sun tea. You might instead consider buying cold-brew teabags (I think they're put out by Lipton) and making the tea in your refrigerator, with the lemon and ginger or any other flavorings you like, instead. Or just make regular hot tea at double strength and add ice while it's still boiling hot.

I just add some lemon and ginger to about a half a cup of boiling water, seep for half an hour or how ever long to get the flavor you want, when cool, strain and add to your tea. I usually use the flavored teas and add some kick!

There is definitely a school of thought that suggests it is NOT safe to make sun tea, because the sun can cause bacteria to grow in the water. Please consider this article before you proceed: http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/5F6B2169-4714-4659-B930-B7356DD5F601/. It offers an alternative recipe for "refrigerator tea."

I also would like to caution error on the side of safety. With salmonella and bacterias running through our food chain, BE CAREFUL.

Thank you for the responses. Where I live, we call it "sun tea" if it is made in a big jar, whether you do it in the sun or in the frig. Because having the word "sun" in the post caused responders to focus on safety issues, issues which I am already well aware of, I wish I had removed that word before posting. My question was HOW TO FLAVOR the tea. In other words, for a half gallon of tea, how much ginger should I add and how many lemon slices should I add? Thank you for caring about my family's health, but many of the posts ran off on a tangent, leaving my actual question unanswered :(

Sorry I did not make it clear. The quart includes 1-2 tea bags, 1 black tea, or 2 green tea, along with the mint leaves.

Thanks Omanana. We just planted some mint in our garden and will definitely give that a try!

Sun Tea on Deck
Making Sun Tea
Food and Recipes Recipes Beverages TeaApril 21, 2009
Russian Tea
Russian Tea Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Crochet top pin cushion, a craft found on Thriftyfun. Submitted by a member.
Making a Tea Cup Pincushion
Chai Tea Latte
Chai Tea Latte Recipes
🎄
🍂