Earth Hour: Small Things Do Make A Difference

Just recently Australia, not sure about the rest of the world, celebrated Earth Hour, when for one hour, lots of businesses and people turned off their lights. More can be found on the net. We as a family did just that; turned off the lights, turned off the puters, xbox's, tv's, etc., and we lit lots of candles and had to rely on each other for entertainment.

My kids surprised the heck out of me, games that were not cool all of a sudden became fun, and making dinner and eating by candlelight was not just mushy mum and dad stuff but way cool. So much so that now if I don't do a earth hour (that lasts at least an entire evening, till bedtime) at least once a week then I don't love them.

So I've been hunting around the cheap shops for games and jigsaws and when I am allowed, searching the net. The amount of cheap and easy entertainment is amazing, we are all are learning to play a card game at the minute and it is driving me crazy, cause they are all so much better than me.

Pleasant surprise, the electricity bill came in this week and it was 35% down on last quarter, so with only one night a week that we don't have TV or whatever is actually having an impact. I am going to get organized and have it at least 5 nights a week but at the end of the year.

Anyway the point of this long and rambling post was to say that small things do make a difference.

Cheers,
Kerry

P.S. Thanks to all of the contributors to this site, I have found it to be an amazing source for all things. Luv to all.

My girls love doing this. The call it their "Little House on the Prarie" time.

How fantastic!! Wow, the United States could REALLY make a difference if we, as a nation, turned off all electricity for an hour. And with the cost of crude oil being so high, you'd think someone would suggest it!

I think that is a WONDERFUL idea to turn off the electricity for the night, not only to save money, but also for the joy of spending time with the family! I don't have children yet, but I plan on using your idea when I do. Imagine how much families the world over could benefit by spending that time together, playing games and bonding.

PS- That's cute about "Little House on the Prairie" time. :)

Earth Hour
Celebrating Earth Hour
Better Living Green Living Conservation ElectricityApril 11, 2008
Earth in Human Hands
Celebrating Earth Day
Banana Nut Bread
Tips for Baking Quick Breads
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Muffin and a Cupcake
Difference Between a Muffin and a Cupcake
🎄