Salt for Setting Dark Clothing

When you wash dark clothes for the first time - use cold water and put salt in the water. The salt helps set the color. When I want to brighten dark clothes after they have been washed several times, I repeat the procedure (salt in cold water when washing).

That sounds really good, but how much salt do you need for, say, a large load?

Approximately how much salt do you use? 1 Tablespoon? 1 Cup? Thanks for the clarification.

This tip is from 2001 so I am not sure if Lou is still with us or not. I did however find this tip on an extension site recently and the recommendation was 1/2 cup of salt.

Put salt in the laundry water to lock in colors so they don't fade.

By Robin

Does salt work for all colors? I just did a yellow longsleeved tee shirt and it bled yellow on anything that came in contact with it.

I bought Dark Brown Corduroy to trim a suede jacket and make a pair of slacks. I presoaked the material in salt and vinegar and then washed the material, but the dark dye is still bleeding from the cuffs of the coat onto my cream turtle neck sweater.

Is there any way to stop the bleeding or will I just toss away the material and try another material?

I'm doing an experiment and I was wondering, if it will set in if you are dying the clothes?

Setting Clothing Dye
Setting Dye on Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 13, 2004
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing