This classic German stew is made with lean trimmed beef stew meat and cabbage.
- 1-1/4 lb lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 C water
- 3/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 C white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
- 1/4 C crushed gingersnaps
1. Brown meat in oil in a heavy skillet. Remove meat and sauté onion in remaining oil until golden. Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1-1/4 hours.
Add vinegar and sugar; stir. Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
Arrange meat and cabbage on a platter and keep warm. Strain drippings and skim off fat. Add enough water to drippings to yield 1 cup of liquid. Return to skillet with gingersnap crumbs. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture boils. Serve with meat and vegetables.
Yield:5 servings--Serving Size: 5 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 11 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 323 mg
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute