Pump Your Own Gas

A good way to cut your fuel costs some is to pump your own gas at the "self-service" pumps instead of having an attendant do it for you!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Editor's Note: Other than Oregon and New Jersey, who I believe won't allow you to pump your own gas, I am curious which states still offer the option of full serve? Cheveron stations were the last hold out here in Washington state, but they have switched to all self-serve. If your community still has a full service options, I would be interested to hear about it.

I think there might be 1 station where I live that even has a full service pump... I didn't think they still existed largely.

We have full service stations in S.D. The town of 800 where I live has two stations, otherwise the other three are self service.

Monita

They have 1 in the town i live in Wis here but i really can't remember the name of it. It is mainly for the disable ppl. I thought that was really nice of them.

Massachusetts and New York state still have full service gas stations

We have at least two in Green Bay Wi. same price as most self serves too.

We still have 2 stations in garden city, kansas that have full service pumps.

We have 1 in Watertown SDakota population of 20,000 + people :D

I'm speechless.

I live in Northeast Louisiana and we still have a few stations with the full service option. I find it really nice to use on occasion. They even still clean your windshield. I think this is a great service that should not go extinct especially for the elderly and disable that still drive.

I live on Long Island, NY and we still have full service gas stations. I'd be in big trouble if they ever went to self-serve only because I cannot self serve. I know it sounds crazy but no matter how many times people have tried to teach me, I am kind of afraid of it, so I find the cheapest full serve (which many times is less than self-serve). Fortunately, I am retired and walk a lot so I don't have to fill up that often.

LI Roe

Swifty gas stations (Indiana) pump your gas 2 cents more a gallon. Not bad. And you bond with the attendants who give good service

There are still full serve stations here in West Tn., but usually they are small family-owned ones. Most stations here are all self-serve.

Renee in TN

We still have a few in Fargo, ND. Comes in real handy when you need to fill up in blizzard conditions!! :-)

There are a few in Michigan. Last I knew there was a teeny little station in Plainwell (SW MI) across the street from the usual mega. The full service charged about .01 more. Some will serve people with disabilities; I don't know if they charge (doubt it) and don't know how you get their attention. In my case at least (I am disabled) it's easier to pump gas and pay at the pump then it would be to walk up and ask for help!

We have several in northeastern PA where I reside. We have an elderly population most of who are unable to pump their own gas... or prefer not to do it..

We have on here in my small town in western ky. Not only are they full service, they are cheaper than anywhere else in town. They are only open from 9 to 5 during the week, but any chance I get to go by there I do and they do a really good business for a tiny two pump gas station.

We have one full service station and all the rest are self serve. I am in sw Ohio. Fortunately it is very near my home, unfortunately they are also usually the cheapest place around and it causes a traffic jam on a major road.

I work in a small town in NOrthern MN and we still have one full serve station in town and the gas is either the same or lower than the self serve stations!

Photo of someone pumping gas.
Saving Money on Gas
Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasDecember 1, 2005
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Pump Bottle
Reusing Pump Bottles
Repairing a Gas Grill
Repairing a Gas Grill
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎉
🎄