Smoke Detector Keeps Beeping

My hardwired smoke detector keeps beeping. I tried turning off all breakers, but it still beeps. I tried vacuuming the unit and wiping, that didn't help. It beeps about every 60 seconds. I disconnected the detector from the wiring, but it still beeps from the hardwired sensor. How can I get it to stop?

By Wayne L

Best Answer

Some hard wired smoke detectors have a battery in them for back up if there is a power failure. If the battery is running low the smoke detector will start making a chirping sound just as you described.

Mine did the same thing and sure enough even though electric it had A battery back-up! Good luck with getting it open which was my problem. May God Bless!

How old is it? It may need to be replaced. I think they're worn out at about 5 years.

It's worn out. Replace it.

Call the manufacturer-if all else fails-you may need to get it fixed or buy a new one Good Luck. : )

Yup, clean the sensor and change the battery. If that doesn't work it may be too old and you need to replace it.

I had the same problem this morning with mine. I did the same as you. I disconnected the entire unit and battery, took a while, but it finally stopped. My guess is it needs replacing.

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMay 14, 2011
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
🎉
🎄