Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Rust And Dirt From A Steam Iron

How can you take rust off your steam iron?

By Margaret

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lilac [18]05/14/2010

Sometimes you can find iron cleaner in the stores. It is a tube of cream like "Goop" that you put on a cloth and rub across a hot iron. It cleans it like new. However if the rust is coming out of the iron because you have used water with minerals in it, it will happen again. Always use distilled water in your iron.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Rust And Dirt From A Steam Iron

I need to clean the rust, dirt and other stuff from my Black and Decker steam iron. It stains ironed clothes. What is a good way to clean the iron and remove the rust?

Joe from NC

RE: Cleaning Rust And Dirt From A Steam Iron

Get an old piece of carpet (like a carpet sample from home stores) with a fuzzy nap to it. Put your iron on high and iron the carpet. I discovered this by accident when I was ironing one day. I have one of those small ironing boards that sits on a table top, but I was using it in the living room. I had accidentally knocked over the iron onto my carpet.

When I picked it up I discovered that all the muck that was on my iron just seemed to be in a peel off form. Needless to say I have a permanent iron mark in the middle of my living room now, but my iron is clean. I now use an old piece of carpet square that I got as a sample from Lowe's. Hope it works for you too. (01/12/2005)

By TJo31well

I sometimes use salt to clean the face plate of the iron. I set the iron on high, no steam, and sprinkle salt on a paper grocerybag. Running over the salt with the high heat cleans off the icky on my iron. For the inside, I think you are supposed to use vinegar to get rid of the deposits the water leaves. A toothpick helps to clean out the steam vents. (01/13/2005)

By guest

To clean the outside of the iron I use plain old toothpaste. Inside I use vinegar and after it has been cleaned I use distilled water. (01/20/2005)

By Toni K.

Use white vinegar added to the steam vent. I also iron an old towel to clean iron in steam position (up for steam) and then empty iron before putting away. (01/21/2005)

By Diamondee

Whink is the easiest solution and a must have under the sink. Apply externally on the surface of your iron via cotton cloth or paper towel to remove rust, dirt, etc. For internal cleaning, use white vinegar and baking soda with distilled water only. After surface and vents are clean melt utility candle onto surface to regain protective coating. Excess wax should be absorbed onto clean strip of white terry cloth towel or new strip of light colored carpeting while iron is hot. Hope this helps. (09/06/2009)

By gadabout

How do I clean rust from my iron?

By toyabenton from Edmond, OK

Vinegar and water. Does your iron have a steam button? If it does, place an old light coloured towel on the ironing board. Once the vinegar and water has heated up in the iron place the soleplate over the towel and hold it about an inch above the towel. Push the steam button and watch how much stuff comes out of the steam holes. Keep doing this until no more "gunk" comes out and the steam is clean. Once done, refill with water only and repeat once or twice to clear out the vinegar mixture. (09/18/2009)

By quiltmum