Use Soaker Hoses In Conjunction With PVC

I have an idea for watering gardens outdoors but with health problems haven't been able to actually do it yet. If anyone does it, I'd sure appreciate a feedback to let me know how it works!

I like to use soaker hoses and a timer to water my garden. However every time I have had one down for a while it seems to get clogged up with ants, weeds and mud. So here's my solution - PVC pipe!

I'd take a PVC pipe that is just big enough around to fit the soaker hose through (don't forget the end with a cap on it has to fit too). I'd drill tiny holes in it using the smallest bits I could find (if you clamp the pipe in place this would be a lot easier, not to mention a lot safer) about every 6 inches or so. I'd only put the holes in the top half of the pipe. The water would seep down on it's own.

You could either leave it on top of the ground and maybe cover it with mulch so it doesn't look bad, or you could bury it all along through your garden. The PVC would keep the soaker hose from becoming clogged and the holes in the pipe would allow the water to still get out to your plants. You could also put more holes where certain plants are and no holes where no plants are, which would also allow for no waste of water. And the timer would simply make it easier so you don't have to be going in and out everyday to turn it on and off.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has or suggestions.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I would also like to try this next gardening season. It has rained so much this year that I haven't had to water outdoors at all .

I like to read much about Gardening and have come across some articles of some people using PVC to make their Hoop Tunnels, or another type of way to Grow Plants such as Hydro-Gardening, but what disturbs me is...

Polyvinyl Chloride is more commonly known as PVC.

PVC contains phthalates. Phthalates are chemicals which are included because they help make the plastic flexible. Thats why garden hoses contain PVC, as do shower curtains, some cling wraps, teething rings, babys vinyl toys and some squeezable bottles.

The trouble is, phthalates are highly toxic and small doses migrate from the PVC to anything that touches it  whether that be food, drink, shampoo or a babys mouth.

Phthalates are endocrine disruptors. They mimic estrogen. Because phthalates resemble estrogen, they can mimic or block estrogenic effects in the body.

Endocrine disruptors are associated with a number of health problems that are on the rise on the U.S. and worldwide, including breast cancer, prostate cancer, infertility and heart disease.

By the way  you know that new car smell loved by so many people? What you are smelling, and inhaling into your lungs, are phthalates.

Why not just use the pvc pipe without the soaker hose? You can buy all the fittings you need to make an irrigation system out of pvc.