Yesterday I had sausage and lentil soup at Carrabba's Italian restaurant. It was filling, not too greasy and absolutely wonderful. Anyone have the recipe or a similar recipe?
By Holly from Dallas, TX
Carrabba's Sausage and Lentil Soup
1. In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add one carrot - grated , one large onion- minced and two cloves of garlic - minced (I have added celery and/or zucchini if I have it as well). Saute until tender.
2. Remove vegetables from the pot and add one pound of hot Italian sausage, removed from the casing. Brown then drain off fat.
3. Place eight cups of chicken broth, the sauteed vegetables along with the sausage into the pot. Add two cans of whole tomatoes with juice, break them up by squeezing them with your hands. Add two cups of dried lentils which have been washed according to package directions. Add 4 ounces diced ham (about 1/2 cup, cut from a ham steak).
4. Season with one teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (more if you want it hotter), 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 tablespoon basil, 1/2 tablespoon parsley, one bay leaf and 1 tablespoon vinegar. (I added 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds once because I had it on hand.)
5. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about an hour. For a thicker soup remove 1/3 of the soup and puree it then return it to the pot. Correct seasonings and remove bay leaf.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!