Iced Tea Tips

Tips for making iced tea. Post your ideas.

When making iced tea, add a pinch of baking soda to hot water to make it less bitter and that way you use less sugar to sweeten it.

By Dee

Make Sun Tea It is the best......6 Large tea bags in a gallon glass jar....Leave in the sun 3-4 hours bring in and put in 1/2 - 1 C of sugar...Pour over Ice...the best ever

We drink iced tea year round even though we live in Maine. Here is the recipe that I developed:

Steep 6 Red Rose Tea bags in a quart of boiling water, let sit until cool. Pour tea into a gallon container, squeeze tea bags and add that. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1 - 12 oz. can pink lemonade concentrate (can use regular also), then fill container the rest of the way with cold tap water, best if it sits in refrigerator at least an hour before drinking. For a special treat you can substitute 2 liters of club soda that much water.

hello,

I read that in the south they make a syrup with sugar and water to add to ice tea.

Stirs in easily :-)

Everyone always likes my tea and wants to know how I make it. I take 4 cups of filtered water in a glass measuring cup and put it into the micro-wave for 7 mins. Then I put in 4 family size teabags and let this seep for about 15 to 20 mins. with plastic wrap over it. In large gallen pitcher, put in 1/2 cup sugar, then sqeeze the tea from the tea bags, and pour over sugar and stir. Add filter water until pitcher is full and stir. Put in ref. until cold. This is a very easy and fast way to make tea. If you are from the deep south, add 1 cup of sugar instead of 1/2 cup. I am from the mid-west and don't like my tea so sweet, even if I have lived in GA for over 20 years. Hope you enjoy this. I think the filtered water is the biggest plus and making it in a glass measuring cup.

Pat in GA

I live in TX now, but from NC.......we really drink sweet tea. Here's my recipe, and I will tell you, the brand of teabags you use really do make a difference. I fill a gallon pitcher 1/3 way full with hot water. Add 1 cup of sugar and stir until dissoved. I tie the strings of 4 Luzianne family size tea bags together and tear off the tags and soak in the hot water for one hour. I remove the tea bags. Add cold water to the top and stir. If you think my tea is sweet, you should try the tea at Bush's Chicken; there tea is even sweeter, but very good.

Ok now from North Carolina here... We use Lipton tea bags the small ones. I think it is 100 to a box that i get. I take ten tea bags remove the paper and the tag on each bag tie all the bags together with the strings. Bring to boil one pot which is about quart or quart and 1/2 not really sure what my pot is. Take off burner when it comes to boil add tea bags and cover for 5 minutes. Then have sugar ready in tea pitcher. When 5 minutes are up pour tea into the pitcher refill pot with hot water on top of the bags. Bring this to a slight boil and set off for another 5 minutes to 7 minutes covered. Then pour this in the pitcher also. Makes the best tea and not bitter at all. Everyone makes me do the tea for the dinners here. I love sliced lemon in my tea. Just start by measuring the water in your pot to the pitcher to see how much water two times will go into your picture. We have a plastic pitcher that hold two pots of water so i am in a rut as this is easy and fast...put sugar to taste.. Enjoy your tea this summer..

Tonya

You can also buy "Cold Brew" tea bags by Lipton and put a glass of ice water w/ one individual bag and let it sit for a few minutes and then it's ready. You can also add sugar before you put the bag in there and stir and it'll already be sweetened. See ya!

Even though I was raised in the south I absolutly can't stand sugar or lemon or anything in my iced tea. The tea itself has to taste good. Since I drink iced tea all day every day a friend gave me for Christmas a Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Maker. I love it. Makes great tea. It goes through a coffee filter so you can use tea bags or loose tea. I actually go to a dollar store and buy a box of 100 tagless teabags for $1

i fill up a gallon glass jar or plastic and put 1 big tea bag((lipton))) and stick it out side and let the sun make it. takes about 2 or 3 hours ,but worth the wait

I prefer Lipton Cold Brew Iced Tea too. I keep a 52oz. cup with lid (saved from a trip to the local convienence store) with one bag (pitcher size) of tea and water and let it sit til it gets nice and dark. I then pour a bit of this "concentrate" tea into another cup, add water and sweetner then add more water to the 52oz. cup and tea bag. I do this til the 52oz. cup starts to get pretty clear (ie, no more tea). This usually lasts me the day, and I only use one tea bag. Keep in mind I also like my tea very diluted. Works for me though. :)

Question: Does anyone know if it is safe to pour boiling water in a plastic pitcher? I'm not concerned with the pitcher melting--mine appears just fine--but I was wondering about health concerns. Thanks.

For iced tea, I take a half gallon container, put it 6 decaf tea bags and fill container with hot water from the faucet, as hot as it will come out. Put on lid and let set an hour and put in frig. I cannot do 'sun' tea so this is about as close as you can get.

By Linda

DON'T use hot water from the tap as i have heard it's unfit for human comsumption. The hotter the water going through the pipes the more crap from inside the pipes comes with it. Not healthy. Also boiling water in plastic pitchers may be a similar thing to microwaving in tuperware or anything with plastic wrap over it. It will heat up and drop toxic cancer causing chemicals into whatever you are going to eat. I have read this a couple different times from reliable sourses. You should always microwave food on a plate or in a bowl with a paper towel over the top for splashes.

Janeen

I like to use a 4 cup glass pyrex cup to heat 4 cups water in the microwave and then add 8 tea bags, let that steep for about 1/2 hour or until the water cools enough so I don't melt the plastic pitcher. Then pour over 1 -1 1/2 cups sugar for southern sweet tea , stir to dissolve the sugar and top with water! I'll often add a few pieces of lemon rind for flavor.

Rebekah

I take my tea (both iced tea and hot tea) without any additions...just tea!

I`ve made Sun Tea and also made it other ways. Does anyone know how to prevent the cloudiness in the tea? It doesn`t alter the taste but looks bad. Thanks

Hi, I use a cheap coffee maker for tea. I put the tea bags in the coffee filter basket (after removing paper tags) and do like making coffee. After brewing I pour the hot tea over ice cubes then add a sprig or two of fresh mint! YUM! You will then need to add ice cubes to your glass or chill until use.

First of all - never put iced tea in a plastic pitcher - the acidity of tea leaches chemicals out of the plastic. Second - try making refrigerator tea! It is fantastic, I just did it for my first time yesterday. I put 4 tea bags in a glass pitcher filled with cold water (I used bottled since our tap water isn't great). After 2 or 3 hours the iced tea will be brewed and ready. Or you can leave bags in for up to 12 hours, I think. Add lemon and sugar (or sugar syrup) to taste. It won't cloud.

Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesAugust 25, 2005
Iced Tea With Lemon Wedge
Iced Tea Recipes
Sweet Tea
Sweet Tea Recipes
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Summer drinks
Avoiding Watered Down Iced Drinks
🎉
🎄