Quick Trick for Peeling Hard-Boiled Eggs

After cooking, fill boiler with cold water for eggs to cool. Drain off all water. Hold lid on boiler and shake for a minute or two. Most eggshells will be off. Just rinse off the rest!

By LucyAnn from Dublin, GA

I've done this and they are still hard to peel. This is what I do: Bring the eggs to a boil, remove from the burner and let sit for several minutes, then rinse under cold water. I do this the same way every time and sometimes they peel real easily and sometimes not. As others have suggested, I've sometimes added salt to the water and other times I added vinegar. Still the same results. I've heard it depends upon the age of the eggs.

We own chickens and HB fresh eggs are always difficult to peel.

The trick is to cool them very quickly so that the egg will pull away from the inner membrane.

After boiling, drain all hot water, cover eggs with lots of ice cubes and top off with cold water. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes. then tap eggs all over on the inside of the sink and peel. The shell will come right off - works even on fresh eggs.

Two brown eggs, one peeled part way, on white background.
Peeling Hard Boiled Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsMarch 1, 2006
Freezing Bell Peppers, Canning Bell Peppers, Peeling Bell Peppers, Drying Bell Peppers, Storing Bell Peppers, Growing Bell Peppers, Selecting Good Bell Peppers, Red, Green and Yellow Bell Peppers
Peeling Bell Peppers
Hard Boiled Eggs
Hard Boiled Eggs Tips and Tricks
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Slice of cantaloupe with other cantaloupes in the background.
Peeling and Slicing Melon
🎉
🎄