Easy Flan Recipe

I'm looking for an easy, delicious flan recipe that I can make with ingredients I already have on-hand. I don't have sweetened condensed milk, and most of the recipes I have seen use that ingredient. I do have evaporated canned milk.

Tina from Ashland, OR

I hope this helps some!

Condensed Milk (Copycat)

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Copycat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 cup Powdered milk

1/3 cup Boiling water

2/3 cup Granulated sugar

3 tablespoons Butter

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until all of the sugar is dissolved.

If the mixture is too thick for your purposes, add a few drops of water and blend.

Equals approx. 1 can sweetened condensed milk.

Hope this is ok

Flan

1/2 cup white sugar

2 egg yolks, beaten

2 cups milk*

3/8 cup white sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°.

In heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar until golden. Carefully pour hot sugar evenly in 4 oven-proof ramekins or custard cups, tilting cups to coat bottoms evenly.

In another saucepan, bring milk just to boiling over medium heat. Stir hot milk, a little at a time, into beaten eggs & egg yolks, until well combined. Stir in sugar & vanilla. Pour milk mixture evenly into ramekins.

Line roasting pan with damp kitchen towel. Place ramekins on towel, inside roasting pan, & place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 40 minutes, until set. Let cool, invert & serve.

*For richer flan, add 1/2 cup heavy cream or sub 1 cup half n half for 1 cup milk.

You can make the caramel sauce if you like, using 1/2 cup of sugar with a touch of water boiled until a caramel color. Add 1/4 cup of water (be very careful, it will steam and bubble). This will cut the cooking immediately. Pour into ramekins or baking dish (could be a round cake pan). (You can also use a bit of maple syrup to avoid this part and still have a sweet touch to the outside of the flan).

Using your mixer, beat four eggs, add 3/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp. of vanilla, a regular size can of evaporated mild and a pinch of salt. Pour this mixture on top of the caramel sauce and carefully place in a larger pan to which you add water up to one half of the side of the flan pan. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool, refrigerate and then turn upside down on a plate and enjoy!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf317891.tip.html

has a number of different recipes for sweetened condensed milk.

Both Jello and Royal have a boxed flan that is very easy to make and very inexpensive and does not have to be baked like a custard. I actually do mine in the microwave. I prepare the custard cups with the caramel sauce they supply. Put the milk and the package into a large microwavable bowl, stir with a wisk and heat in the microwave stirring every minute...until it boils...have to watch...but it isn't very long. Then you pour the hot mixture onto the caramel sauce and let it set then refrigerate to cool. They unmold up-side-down onto a plate nicely and I sure them with Coolwhip.

Plenty of 'make your own sweetened condensed milk' recipes available on Google.

Flan dessert on a plate.
Homemade Flan Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts CustardOctober 22, 2008
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards
preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
🎉
🎄