Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Do Dogs in Heat Gain Weight?

I have a Staff cross Pitbull and she has come on heat; I am wondering if they gain a little bit o weight when they come on? She has got a little bit of a pot belly on her. I know she's not pregnant, because she is on and bleeding everywere. Can any one help? Please.

By Rob from England

By Anonymous [848]02/22/2010

I am not sure what your obsession is about 'being ripped' when it comes to a pooch (I didn't leave a comment on that one when I read it a few days ago) but perhaps, since this is your second request about pudginess and not saying the dog was a female in the first request, you should simply ask a vet? Oh, and how many humans, especially females, do you know that are 'ripped' and without extra body fat content? It's normal and necessary for female health! Since it turns out your dog is a female don't you think that perhaps it might be nature like a female human and naturally needs a little more padding?

And speaking of padding, since you mention she is bleeding everywhere, maybe you should put a doggie diaper pad on her and change it regularly until she's out of heat?

By Lisa [2]02/21/2010

Rob,

Is this the same dog you want to get ripped?
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf73026961.tip.html

You seem to have a lot of questions about the health of your dog, and her "pot belly." You should consult with her vet. And while you're at it, I recommend you get her fixed -- it's much healthier for her in the long-run.

By Judi [17]02/20/2010

Not unless you increase her feed or decrease her exercise, just like at any other time.