Substitute Buttermilk Pancakes

I wanted to remind everyone that substitutions can be made cheaply. I buy cans of evaporated milk. When a recipe calls for buttermilk, I pour a little into a cup of water to make milk, and then put a a teaspoon or so of vinegar. This makes it into buttermilk. My family doesn't drink buttermilk, so it is a waste to have a whole carton of it in the fridge. I really love doing this for pancakes.

• 1 cup flour, any kind you have
  • 1 cup water
  • A couple of spoonfuls of evaporated milk
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1/8 cup of oil, or less
  • 1 tsp. baking powder

Add evaporated milk and vinegar to water and mix with other ingredients. If the kids are really hungry I will secretly mix in about 1/4 cup of oatmeal to make it more filling. You might add more water if it needs it.

I let the batter sit about two minutes and then put it on a greased hot pan on my electric stove. I set the stove to 5 or a 4. After there are tons of bubbles at the top, I turn the pancakes over. When they looks cooked through, I put them on the plate, butter them, and top with a dollop of sugar-free orange marmalade jelly or sugar-free syrup.

The kids love it, and I like quick recipes. I have to double the recipe if there are more than two hungry kids since I make small amounts at a time.

The kids usually eat one the size of the small skillet I make them with and they are full. I like to make things that make them full and are good for their little bodies. As a matter of fact I was making pancakes last night for myself at three o'clock in the morning :)

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

You can do that with regular milk also.

Like you, I don't drink buttermilk. My solution, because I love buttermilk pancakes, I solved my problem by buying dehydrated buttermilk. This way I can fix only a couple of pancakes or make enough for a crowd. O and I know canned milk has a short shelf life so that wasn't an option for me. Hey thanks for posting this. I know what I'll be having tomorrow for breakfast. lol

buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastJuly 21, 2010
Eating pancakes with applesauce.
Syrup Alternatives for Pancakes
Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Buttermilk Cake Recipes