DecoratingHome Improvement

Sherbet-Orange Colored Walls

I have beautiful sherbet-orange walls in my bedroom, and I need new flooring. I can't afford hardwood, and I don't like laminate, so I have two choices: carpet or paint the underlying plywood. What color should I choose to complement my walls? Right now, the carpet is light blue and I HATE IT.

Thanks!
Stephanie from Anchorage, Alaska

When I was a teen, my conserative parents let me paint my room a sherbert orange for the walls, sherbert yellow for the ceiling and I got a new dark green carpet. It was pretty, my mom would show visitors my room. So even she thought it was pretty.

I would personally use beige or cream. Both would compliment each other wonderfully, albeit beige would be easier to keep clean.

Hi, Stephanie,

Orange is my favorite color, so I suggest 'bittersweet' for your floors if you think you can take all the color. It is a darker color, very dramatic (like a bright terracota). Can you afford to put something over the plywood (to save provide a better surface and reduce preparation like sanding, if you decide to paint)? Or can you get a room-size carpet remnant in bittersweet? Or, if you are artistic, you could make a canvas floor-cloth (Google 'floor-cloth' for directions) in any color you like.

Nancy in Nokomis

how about painting to look like wood? you could use light to dark brown paint and than darken up the rest and mix it with glaze and use wood graining tool to make it look like wood flooring. if you go to home depot they can walk you right thru the instructions

How about a rust or caramel color?

Paint your floor yellow and accent room with hot pink and touches of black.

Thank you everyone! I think I am going to combine several of your ideas! I will paint the floor soft yellow, then make a white floorcloth with stenciled ferns in a few different shades of dark green. Thanks again for all your help!