Stinging Foot Pain After Back Surgery

Two years ago, I had surgery on my back. A discectomy for 3 herniated discs, L4 L5, and S1. My back has been fine since so it seems it was a success.

There is only one lingering problem. For the past 2 years my left foot has had a stinging sensation that is very bothersome. It comes and goes in severity and some days I can't hardly feel it at all. But when it is acting up it is pretty painful.

It is on the outside of my left heel and the skin seems to be very sensitive. Back when I had the surgery and this problem lingered the neurosurgeon's office said it is probably just the nerves waking up and had been aggravated. They said 6 months, maybe a year worst case for this to go away.

It's now been 2 years and is driving me insane. Anyone have any ideas? Also, it is worse if I have had alcohol the night before. As if hangovers weren't bad enough already now their accompanied by sharp stinging sensation in my foot.

By Joe58 from MA

Sounds like to me that one of your nerves has been damaged. I would go back to your doctor or even ask a second opion. You may want to seek out Physical Therapy to see if they could help with your pain.

A podiatrist may offer some help with your pain.

Go back to your doctor, and see if they can explain &/or treat your problem. Other things to try -- a chiropractor, a reflexologist, a massage therapist, possibly try acupuncture. I have no experience with such pain, but these health practitioners offer non-invasive and inexpensive therapies that might help.

I have similar pain in my extremities after back surgery. I find that Lyrica - the drug proscribed for fibromyalgia - has helped me.

I agree that physical therapy with acupuncture and something like Neurontin or Lyrica should ease the pain. I have had nearly 2 years of pain that, after much trial and error, is starting to be eased by Lyrica. It is an expensive med, but useful with nerve pain. Good luck. Start with a trip to your doctor.

My best friend had severe side pain after she had surgery to remove a kidney to donate--she had to be put on Neurontin for a while.

You need to see your doctor. If that doctor won't help, then see another one, maybe the one that did your surgery. God bless you. Chronic pain is hard to live with.

More than two years sounds excessive to me. Have that surgeon double-check whether a nerve is pinched. Get a second opinion if the first doc blows you off. My mother was misdiagnosed for years, when her problem was a simple pinched nerve.

Thanks all for the responses. Just like I figured, I need to go back and get checked out by the doc. Only reason I haven't yet is cause I moved right after the surgery, but I am heading back there for a few weeks. I thought maybe someone with the same ailment or maybe a neurologist could give me something to do in the mean time. Thanks again.

I know this way past your post but i found it interesting. I too have had your same surgery. L4x2, L5x2, S1x1 for a total of five surgeries. The foot, toe pain was diagnosed as fasciitis and was due to my altered gait during the painful period both pre and post surgery. Stretching and good shoes have helped greatly, although there are a few times I would like to cut those suckers off! Best of luck.

Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 21, 2009
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
Two bare feet.
Homemade Foot Powder
🎄
🍂