Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Hairspray Removal From Tile

I have a lot of hairspray build up on my tiled bathroom floor. How can I get rid of it?

By Sue from Mandan, SD

By wishladya12/24/2013

Windex with ammonia seems to work best. Spray it on the build up of hairspray and then wipe it up (or use a floor cleaner that contains ammonia).

By Roopa Chandrasekhar [2]01/07/2011

Mop the floor with 50 - 50 solution of water and vinegar. Don't worry the smell will go away.

By missy [1]09/18/2010

Hot water and elbow grease!! Sometimes you just have to break a sweat to get things clean!

By Anonymous [848]08/22/2010

Please 'never, ever' mix 'chlorine bleach' with anything other than water, not even mix it with something as simple as vinegar, dish soap or baking soda because mixed with anything other than water can cause serious eye or lung injury or even death. Among other things, chlorine chemical reaction can cause deadly gas fumes and even explosion.

I wouldn't even take the chance of mixing isopropyl/rubbing alcohol with anything other than water either because of it's chemical makeup and it is highly volatile!

By Richie [3]08/21/2010

A little alcohol, a little bleach, let it set a second or so and scrub up with a scrubby or a good rag, you can add a little baking soda if you like. Wear gloves, done hair for a while it works pretty good.

By Anonymous [848]08/12/2010

Isopropyl alcohol and a gentle scrubbing sponge.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hairspray Removal From Tile

How do I get build up hairspray off of tile in the bathroom floor?

Cheryl

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Hairspray can be removed from tile by wetting a cloth with rubbing alcohol and rubbing the tiles. (01/02/2005)

By myc2000

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Shampoo works great! (01/02/2005)

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Barkeeper's friend! Check out their website. There isn't much it won't clean up. It is a polisher also. Make it into a paste. Wait a minute, rub area with fingers, Q-tip, or toothbrush and wipe up with a wet paper towel. This product is drying on your hands. Use some lotion for your fingertips. (01/07/2005)

By jjager

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Rubbing alcohol is the best way to remove hairspray on surfaces. For your floors, use a clean cloth and pour a little alcohol on the cloth. Wipe on surface and thoroughly clean with soap and water. If you have pets, clean several times so no residue remains. (01/11/2005)

By Julie

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Baking soda! Use baking soda and a little bit of water, make it into a paste. This is excellent for hairspray removal. In fact, you can mix baking soda in your shampoo to remove hairspray and gel build up in your hair. (My hairdresser told me that years ago, and I recommend it to anyone with hairspray problems). (01/18/2005)

By MLove

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

Be careful using baking soda. I did this and it took the glaze off of the tile. Oops! (08/24/2008)

By Jenny

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

I have just cleaned my bathroom tiles with shaving foam as advised on this site. I spread the foam on by hand and rubbed with a Duzzit sponge and it has completely cleaned the hair spray build up from my tiles. It's amazing, it really works. (02/08/2009)

By Chris

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

I used the alcohol and it removed the glaze, yikes. It also bleached the grout to white when it was beige. Now what? (02/15/2009)

By Holly

RE: Hairspray Removal From Tile

You will find that some say use shampoo and some, liquid dish detergent. Whichever you use is OK, but let it set on the places you want to clean for 15 or 20 minutes. Letting it set is the key. I used the dish detergent, but I suspect shampoo would get the same result. Just let it sit prior to what will be minor scrubbing. (03/23/2009)

By JimmyDW