Give Up Designer Coffee

If you are spending $3 for a cup of cappuccino every morning, this adds up to $21 a week or $1092.00 a year. Instead, you can choose to buy a three-pound can of French vanilla cappuccino for around $12.00. "This will give you 64 cups of coffee, which is less than 20 cents per cup." Multiply that for a week and you get $1.40 or a total savings of $19.40 for the whole week, or a whopping savings of $1,008.80 for the year.

By Faylee from Kingsport, TN

I am able to buy a pound of Fair Trade Organic coffee for $10 here in Minneapolis. I get a minimum of 6 big pots of fresh (I grind my beans just before brewing) strong coffee with a standard Mr. Coffee drip maker, which prices out at roughly $1.66 a POT. A "12 cup" pot yields at least 6 big mugs of coffee, which prices out at roughly 28 cents a mug. I buy a gallon of whole milk and freeze it in 1 pint containers, using it up a pint at a time. I like a lot of milk in my coffee and I still get a lot of mileage out of a pint container of milk. Add a little vanilla and/or chocolate syrup and you've got a nice cup of coffee for maybe 35 cents. In the summer I brew my coffee and keep it in the fridge, then enjoy iced coffee all summer long. I save a ton of money over stopping at coffee shops (not to mention the time savings) and I can still feel good about supporting a Fair Trade coffee cooperative without breaking the bank. The used coffee grounds go into my compost pile. It's a win, win, win situation!

If you want a real espresso or cappuccino, get yourself a small coffee maker. Watch, and you can get one quite inexpensively, (I paid $7 for my last one!) or you can get one for the top of the stove. Even regularly priced take out coffee, if you have several cups a day, can run into big money!! Get in the habit of making your own coffee with your fresh ground beans. A saving, and often, better coffee.

I use unbleached coffee filters, shake the used grounds into my countertop compost, dry the filter and reuse endless times. Another savings with coffee. Espresso/cappucino are not filtered, so powdered may be healthier for cholesterol though.

Roasted Coffee Beans
Saving Money on Coffee
Better Living Frugal Living TipsApril 29, 2011
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker