Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Using Vick's In Steam Inhaler

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I just purchased the Walgreen's cough and cold steam inhaler. It says use water only and do NOT add any medications (Vicks),etc. I really want to add Vicks though! What do you think will happen? It is a plug in device that has a 1/4 cup size base for the water, that heats to steam.
Thank you in advance

Christine from Bay Area, CA

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By pam munro 522 790 06/05/2008 Flag

I have a similar steamer (a facial one, I think) and I have had success adding a smidgen of Vick Vapo Rub to the water. Don't put too much in, tho.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherry 1 57 06/06/2008 Flag

Hi. I've always used a small amount of vicks in my steamer when my kids were small and had stuffy colds even though the steamer said not to. The thing is, it can gum up the works and the vicks smell never goes away. It really smells up the whole house for a long time too!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 463 2,126 06/06/2008 Flag

If you haven't used it yet, take it back and look for one that plugs into your wall socket and disperses the medication without the residue. Or, you can do like I did and put very hot water into a bowl or pot you don't use for cooking anymore, and a dollup of Vicks. Set it close to the child, but safe where if they get up they can't spill it or burn themselves.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda 1 82 06/09/2008 Flag

It's not a good idea to put anything in any of the cool/warm air inhalers. There is not a place to put anything like that. Vaporizers, however, do have a little well that will hold a dab of Vicks or similar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jane (Guest Post) 06/09/2008 Flag

I discolored the plastic lid of my crock pot by using it to heat essential oils. It became permanently hazy/opaque versus clear, and really unsightly.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 06/10/2008 Flag

Thank you all so much for your help : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By michelle 7 3 07/14/2008 Flag

Just rub their feet with the vicks and put their socks on. It's much better and more comfortable than breathing it all night. Try it - it helps w/ the coughs so much!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joseph7110 1 08/20/2011 Flag

Cool humidified air is a better treatment for multiple ailments versus warm air or steam, although it is strictly of personal preference. With cool humidified air, medicines and or eucalyptus can easily be used creating a much more effective product for symptomatic relief. Cool humidified air is great and as an ENT, I recommend it for multiple ailments.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes