Using Vick's In Steam Inhaler

I just purchased the Walgreen's cough and cold steam inhaler. It says use water only and do NOT add any medications (Vicks),etc. I really want to add Vicks though! What do you think will happen? It is a plug in device that has a 1/4 cup size base for the water, that heats to steam.
Thank you in advance

Christine from Bay Area, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have a similar steamer (a facial one, I think) and I have had success adding a smidgen of Vick Vapo Rub to the water. Don't put too much in, tho.

Hi. I've always used a small amount of vicks in my steamer when my kids were small and had stuffy colds even though the steamer said not to. The thing is, it can gum up the works and the vicks smell never goes away. It really smells up the whole house for a long time too!

If you haven't used it yet, take it back and look for one that plugs into your wall socket and disperses the medication without the residue. Or, you can do like I did and put very hot water into a bowl or pot you don't use for cooking anymore, and a dollup of Vicks. Set it close to the child, but safe where if they get up they can't spill it or burn themselves.

It's not a good idea to put anything in any of the cool/warm air inhalers. There is not a place to put anything like that. Vaporizers, however, do have a little well that will hold a dab of Vicks or similar.

I discolored the plastic lid of my crock pot by using it to heat essential oils. It became permanently hazy/opaque versus clear, and really unsightly.

Thank you all so much for your help : )

Just rub their feet with the vicks and put their socks on. It's much better and more comfortable than breathing it all night. Try it - it helps w/ the coughs so much!

Cool humidified air is a better treatment for multiple ailments versus warm air or steam, although it is strictly of personal preference. With cool humidified air, medicines and or eucalyptus can easily be used creating a much more effective product for symptomatic relief. Cool humidified air is great and as an ENT, I recommend it for multiple ailments.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Consumer Advice General AdviceJune 5, 2008
Fabric Steam Press
Repairing a Fabric Steam Press
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Steam Mop
Using a Steam Mop
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 4:34:54 PM on 10.0.2.76 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.