How ToSewing

Adding Bra Strap Retainers to 100+ Choir Dresses

I would like to help out the local middle school choir teacher by adding some bra strap retainers into the 100+ choir dresses. (We currently have to safety pin the straps out of the way for each performance.) I was thinking of using snap tape (like Dritz) and sewing a male and female piece to the shoulder seam giving about a 3/4" loop. Then straps could just be snapped in place. Does anyone have any other ideas or ways to make my idea easier to implement. (200+ loops is a lot!) Does snap tape fray when cut?

The dresses a royal blue & satin bodiced so I can not sew directly to the fabric and need to use the seams. Thanks for any help you can give, including locations for multi-yards of snap tape.

Melody from Eastern, Tennessee

Velcro????

Borasic Lint

A metal barrette on the straps in back.

I know what you are talking about. I've seen these in dresses before. What about using ribbon, and tying them into place with a bow? This is much cheaper than all the snaps and would still be uniform.

Anonymous

I don't know what the back of the dresses look like...but wouldn't it be easier to cut a piece of string or something like that, and just tie the straps together in the back...it should bring them in just enough to not be seen on the shoulders....then, when all is said and done, just cut the string.

I have no suggestions, but as an elementary and middle school choir director I want to say THANK YOU for doing this kind of service! I'm sure every choir director in the world would join me in saying thanks!

Cantate in Japan

HEllo! I am picturing bra strap retainers to keep the straps from showing at the shoulders. I am wondering if it would work to use adhesive backed velcro strips? It can be purchased by the roll. I am thinking cut 2inch matching strips from both the top (loopy) and bottom (grabby) of the velcro. Then apply one strip along each shoulder seam right above where the bra strap will be( can be done while the girl is wearing the dress.) Then adjust the bra strap and lay the matching piece of velcro under it pressing face to face with the first strip. The velcro should stick together on either side of the strap and hold it. I have never tried this, and do not know if it would actually work, so you might want to do a test run. I really prefer your snap strip idea and just wish I could help you sew them on! The only other idea that comes to mind is strapless bras! lol All the best, Cathy in Delaware

Hello, and cheerio:

Dear Melody, unfortunately, I can not think of a better method regarding the bra straps, than yours. However, maybe the real problem is too much work, and not enough hands. Perhaps if you would humbly put out the"call" for help,possibly from some of the Choir members themselves.than your problem could be solved. You could even make a fellowship thing out of it, if you wanted to! Remember the old Quilting Bees? The bible says that many hands make the work light. Also,ask and you shall receive. I'm sure there must be some Christians around able to help you, if you make them aware of your need. Blessings from Canada, Marlene.