Call To Save Wal-Mart's Fabric Department

I was told by a Wal-Mart employee that it might be possible to save the fabric department if everyone would call 1-800-WAL-MART. and tell them how valuable that department is to all of us that do crafts which require sewing and notion supplies. I hope that this saves a much needed service.

By Cairene from PA

This is happening to only a few Walmarts where there are fabric stores in the same area. If the town does not have a Hancock's, Jo Ann's, Micheal's and other stores along those lines, Walmart will keep the fabrics instore. I live in a town without such a store and I can still get fabric like crazy.

No, that is not true about it happening to towns with

fabric stores. I live in a small town and we only

have one other store with little fabric and supply

choices. I visited the town of Bartlesville, Ok and

they have hardly any fabric Dept. in Walmart. It is

a large city. Ladies we better let our voices be heard.

I just got off the phone and though SOME STORES are going to be remodeled and the newer ones might not have the inventory such as the fabric stores do have, it will no longer be called 'fabrics and crafts' but as 'Celebrations'. Walmart will still sell some fabric, keep up the crafts, threads, sewing machines and other notions that encompasses sewing, needlecrafts and so forth. The 'Celebrations' moniker is to be geared to all holidays and celebrations that occur in life. This is NOT to happen in established areas where sales in fabrics is high.

As told be me by Marcus at the toll free number (at least a 10 minute wait).

I live next to Gilroy's new Super WalMart in northern CA. The ladies there told me a couple of months ago that they were threatening to close the fabric part down. There IS a Michael's across the street, but they do NOT have fabric, so WalMart is great for fabric. I have a JoAnn's here in my town but sometimes WalMart is great for fabrics, like the aprons I am making for me to wear during VBS this summer and ones for my Mom and sister, can't beat $1 a yard for cotton fabric!!!! It's been great for the pieces that I am buying to make a jeans quilt with!!!

Hmmm, we still get fabric at my Walmart stores even though we have Joann's, Hancock's, Michael's, Craft Warehouse and Home Fabrics. I did email when I heard about this a few months ago and the ladies in the fabric depts say they are assured that our departments are safe. I live in Boise, Idaho.

Here in my small e. tx town, the Fabric Dept. Clerk told me the decision on whether to keep or delete her dept. would be made w/in the next three years, or 2.5 yrs now... customer in-put would not necessarily be heard or heeded.

What this tells me is that until it's officially announced otherwise, us customers need to tell WM mgmt what we want... let's remember: unsatisfied customers can 'vote' with our pocketbooks by patronizing other stores, even if other stores are farther away. It's been done throughout history.

hi there i live in East Chicago Indiana the Wal-Mart store is only 5-10- min away in hannon Indiana they took out the fabric dept the nest jo-ann and hancock's is now 45 min away and that just burn me up and micheals and hobby lobby is 1 hour away what do i go i dont do much sewing now but when i get to a fabric store i get everthing i need and if i for get it i have to hold out until i can get the the storre

Here's the scoop in my area. All walmarts are being remodeled, and most are deleting the fabric dept and combining what little packaged craft accessories into the celebrations dept. I do live in a multi-city area with many other fabric stores but there is at least one or two walmarts that I've heard of that will keep the fabric. I have voice my opinion of the decision over via email quite extensively, but to no real "listening" concern...just an explanation that the celebrations dept will be so much nicer...what a crock. They just don't get it, but if it hit them where it hurt, it might do some damage...but how many of us can go cold-turkey????and for how long??? My thing is....why didn't I know this was in the works so I could have voiced sooner??? They are definitely not concerned about "serving" the community.

I have been a Walmart fabric department manager for over 12 years. I was notified around Dec.'06, that about 3000 stores would shut down their fabric dept, and convert to a Celebeations dept. Some store in our area have already changed over, but I was told that our store is on the list to convert, but no date is set. This was supposed to happen within 3 years. A new store recently opened nearby, and it has this 'Celebrations" area instead. In the last few years, there have been many changes it seems that anything that requires 24 hr customer service is going to be looked at closely. (such as cutting Fabric) Those people with the calulators, crunching numbers, need to spend some time in the stores. And not just a quick pass with some distict manager. They need to see what really goes on in the stores. We've been giving our customers this web address to sign the petition.

This was the only place in St. Augustine that we could buy fabric from. You are now sending us to Jacksonville. This can't be a good move, as if we need to travel to Jacksonville for fabric, we will buy other things there that we would normally buy at WalMart. Makes no sense.

When I was in my Walmart store on Saturday,

the fabric dept. was gone. Buttons, patterns, thread,

notions, etc etc, were gone. I was truly saddened.

The Walmart next to Sam's Club on Porter Road in Niagara Falls New York better not close their fabric department. Such a loss.

I am with all who want to save the Fabic Dept In our local wal-mart stores. They don't realize this Is the only fabric chioce some people have. I too love buying fabric there as well. I will be among the many to voice my opinion. Remember women can be a powerful force to reckon with. Sam Walton would roll over in his grave If he knew half the things taking place In his stores.

I live in Plainwell, MI. Our Wal-Mart still has & from what the employees' say, it will remain. I will call the district & thank them for keeping "our" fabric dept. open. Grandma always said, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar!". I suggest everyone that has a W-M that still has a fab. dept. do the same. All it costs is a bit o' time & it might just make a difference!

CraftsApril 24, 2007
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Woman in Home-Based Baking Business
Starting a Home-Based Baking Business
Sprouting Garlic
Grocery Store Gardening
Stuffed Zucchini
Stuffed Zucchini Recipes
🎉
🎄