My Frugal Life: Embracing Blind

On the weekend of the November 5-7, 2010, I was invited to my first National Federation of the Blind of Ohio convention. While there, I learned that there is so much that people who are blind can do and not to underestimate them. My Frugal Life I also learned that it is OK for me to be a person with albinism, who also has low vision.

During the convention, I also learned how to be more understanding. When I got home, the first thing I did was go to the National Federation of the Blind's web page and ordered my first cane. Hopefully the normal world will accept me now that I am embracing being legally blind. I met some many interesting people. My family has been enlarged so much now.

By bentcrazy39 from Springfield, OH

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Have you met or read posts from:just plain jo on this site. I for one have learned so much from her posts. Thank you for sharing.

I have been legally blind for over 15 years due to ocular histoplasmosis and I have learned to adapt my lifestyle with a disability to a normal world. I have learned to be independent in some areas of my life but I have learned also to depend upon family and friends for assistance when I need it.

Good job, bentcrazy, although I do wish you'd gone into more detail! Keeper, Bentcrazy and I live in the same town, so yeah, we knew each other before I joined the "blind side." I'm so glad I've been able to help you understand us blind folks better, though. Iit's sweet of you to say so! Hugs!

Blind Man With Dog
Surviving on the Blind Side
Better Living Self ImprovementNovember 17, 2010
Blind Dog
Caring for a Blind Dog
Woman's feet in sneakers near a curb holding a while cane with red marking.
Questions You Always Wanted to Ask a Blind Person
A blind woman sitting on a bench.
Interacting With Blind People
blind woman
Things to Do with a Blind Companion