Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster

Is it quicker to cook a turkey in an electric roaster?

By Denise

Answers

I use electric roaster whenever I roast turkey. It frees my oven to do last minute dressing, which we like to be baked in a biscuit pan rather than in the turkey, and to bake last minute dishes to keep them hot. I always put a bout 1 to 2 qts of water in bottom of roaster pan and put salt and pepper on the turkey. I turn the turkey breast down and roast at 350 degrees until it falls off bone. A 20 lb turkey will take about 4 to 5 hours. It will not be sliceable but if you let it set after cooking for about 30 without taking the lid off, it will be moist and very tender. On occasion I have cooked it from frozen state without taking the giblets or liver out of the cavity. No problem with the tase. Don't be afraid to put enough salt and pepper to make it taste good. The broth is really good to make the dressing, which I make from scratch.

November 27, 2010 Flag

Has anyone cooked a turkey in an electric roster? How did it work out and do you have any tips?

By Lewis from Port Orchard, WA

Answers:

Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster

• 20-qt. roaster oven
  • 22 to 24 lb. turkey
  • meat thermometer
  • roasting pan

Step 1 - Set the roaster temperature to 375 degrees.

Step 2 - Place the turkey into the roasting pan and add a cup of water, insert the roasting pan into the roaster.

Step 3 - Cook the turkey. This is trickier than it sounds. By many manufacturer's guidelines you should cook the turkey for 14 to 18 minutes per pound. This is a broad range, 4 hours and 20 minutes to 6 hours. This can definitely leave you with an undercooked turkey or a very dry bird. If it's browning too fast, cover with foil.

Step 4 - Use your thermometer to check the temperature of the turkey after 4 hours of cooking time. You want to pull the turkey out of the roaster when the breast temperature reaches 155 degrees. If the temperature is not at 155 degrees remove the thermometer and check the bird again every 10 minutes.

Step 5 - Take the turkey out of the roaster. Set the turkey to the side for 20 minutes. This is very important. The internal juices and bones continue to cook the turkey inside. The turkey will reach the desired 165 degrees while it sits on your counter. This will aid you in keeping that moist turkey you really wanted.

Step 6 - Cut the turkey and serve.
Let us know how it turns out, good luck. (11/28/2009)

By kffrmw88

Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster

I haven't cooked anything in an electric roaster, but I hear they are not that much different from conventional ovens so I suggest just using the standard oven temperature and time per pound and make sure to use a meat thermometer checking the largest part of a thigh for an internal 165 degrees before removing. kffrmw88 has a great idea about checking temperature about every ten minutes once getting close to doneness time. If worried about losing moistness just cook on a lower heat for a longer period of time. All meats stay more moist at longer cooking time on lower heat. (11/30/2009)

By Deeli

Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster

The electric roaster my dad always used suggests to roast turkey at 325 degrees. I did this with my 10 lb turkey and it was done in about 2 hrs. My sister did a 22lb turkey in the same roaster and it was done in about 3 hrs. We don't stuff our turkey, we cook that separate. You want to leave lid on so it will brown. And do add some water or broth. The turkey is always golden, moist and delicious. (12/01/2009)

By jmz2005

Roast Chicken
Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster Oven
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsNovember 27, 2010
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎉
🎄