Pests Eating a Sweet Potato Plant

I have a sweet potato plant that something is eating on, it has little holes. I looked to see if I could find what was eating the leaves but did not see anything. This is a border plant or used for hanging baskets.

Darlene from Carriere, MS

The most common pest for the decorative potato vine is the very tiny tortoise beetle. They're hard to catch eating the plant, since they prefer to hang out on the undersides of the leaves. They'll destroy them pretty quick if left alone. I'd give the vines a good spray with any pesticide, and be sure to get the undersides as well. This is assuming you have a bit of time left before they die for the year... The pesticide will kill the beetles for now, but I doubt your plants will have enough time to generate new, prettier leaves before a killing freeze. Just be on the lookout early for the same damage next year. Good luck!

If you don't like pesticides, and who does, try diatomaceous earth.

These plant pests are extremely common .I sprayed mine with dish soap and water solution. It worked, but because it is so common I no longer grow these.Too high maintinance for my large garden.Christine in SC

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlOctober 31, 2008
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Sweet Potato Cake Recipes
Sweet Potato Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄