Icy Windshield

Anything for frosty/iced windshields? I am a van driver for school kids and it is left out all night. I might not have enough time to scrape in the mornings.

JO from Girard, PA

My dad always puts old newspaper over the windshield and tucks it under the wipers. Works for him!

Use your windsheild washer fluid. Spray it on

How to De-ice Your Windshield

http://www.ehow.com/how_112668_de-ice-windshield.html

Save yourself having to scrape or wash by covering your windscreens each evening with an old sheet. Just remove in the morning. This works for frost don't know about snow.

I flattened a large cardboard box. Gently use the windshield wipers to hold the cardboard on.

We put a piece of cardboard on the windshield under the wiper blades to keep the frost from forming.

Dont know if this works as yet, i was planning on using this mixture this winter, its called whindshield de ice.

32 oz spray bottle

8 oz rubbing alcohol

and windshield washer fluid

Put alcohol in bottle, fill to top with washer fluid. Shake

will melt ice quickly, i understand this wont refreeze on the windows, alcohol will not freeze i hear. Give it a try, i am gong to mix some and try it on my husbands work pickup, he says it stays outside and our car goes into the garage.

Use an old shower curtain. It stops ice and snow. I have a Lincoln and it reaches over far enough for me to shut the ends in the car door. Go out in the morning and just tear it off. Works great!

Use or buy inexpensive rubber mats or carpet remnants to place on the windshield overnight. Good luck! Here in Nebraska I have the same problem.

I had a disabled friend who would take two pizza circles, put each in a plastic bag (lasts longer this way and won't stick to the windshield), and put one under each wiper. It helped her alot--I don't think she would have been able to scrape windows.

I've used cheap rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle for years, no damage, very quickly melts ice.

HI, I have not tried this yet but we intend to. In a book on salt solutions it says that if you live in a cold climate you know how common it is to wake up and not be able to see out your windows that have become covered with frost. says to remedy the situation , rub the inside of windows with a sponge dipped in a saltwater solution and let dry, says the windows will not frost up in subfreezing weather. would be worth a try i think!! also read this one time about locks freezing shut on car doors with freezing rain. said to use the super thin advertising magnets that you get, cut the magnet to fit the keyhole and pop on there when the weather is gonna be bad.

Wow what a lot of great ideas. (loridawn)Do you have to re do this on a regular basis to keep the window from frosting up and if so how often? What is the salt to water ratio?

Also like the idea of using the mats, cardboard or shower curtains. All idea I have never thought of.

I purchased product called a FrostShield. Just place it on your windshield at night and in the morning when you take it off you will not have to scrape frost, ice, or snow off of the windshield.When you are done with it shake it off roll it up and put it in your trunk. I found it on the internet at www.frostshield.com.

For frost and freezing rain, over night I use a spare sun screen, the kind that folds for storage. It's just long enough to cover the windshield and tuck the ends in before you close the front doors on it to hold it in place. The wipers can be used to hold the bottom down if necessary. Another tip: to keep the doors from freezing shut, cut those plastic grocery bags on each side so they are long and place on the top side of the door before closing it to present a non freezing barrier between the door and the door frame. Good luck with your cold weather..

I always use pizza boxes, they are great.

I use 2 heavy duty trash bags. I staple 2 ends together & it's long enough to put over the windshield & tuck in the car doors. The wipers keep it tucked under to stay put. Ice storm predicted tonight, trash bags are on the windshield. I hope it works again. Drive safe everyone.

I purchased a frostshield @ www.frostshield.com. Check it out!

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceOctober 29, 2007
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄
🍂