Be Cautious Using Water from Dehumidifiers

This is in regard to a tip I read several weeks ago. A reader said she uses the water from her dehumidifier for the birds. My dehumidifier has a WARNING: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER, IT MAY MAKE YOU ILL. I am sure the same would be for birds or any animals.

Thank you,
Louise from Delmar, NY

I wonder why? Is it just that it isn't considered totally potable (drrnkable) water by ins. standards? Probably good enough to put on the plants/grass, etc.!

I asked my husband the appliance tech and he said all that water is is moisture pulled out of the air ie humidity. So unless your air around you is toxic he did not see why it would be harmful to birds or wildlife. I personally would not drink it cause its been in that dehumidifier and I personally like my bottled water better. If you put chemicals in your dehum (which you should not) it should be safe.

A true distillation process condenses the steam of boiled water, and the boiling process kills any microbes and fungi that may be present in the pre-distilled water. Since the surface coils in a dehumidifier are not kept to food-grade cleanliness, microbes and fungi exist in the collected water and it is therefore not considered safe to drink.

Any mold or fungi is removed from the air in the dehumidifying process. It is collected in that water. NOT SAFE! It is not distilled water.

I use my water for watering plants inside and outside. I don't see why it would harm birds, look at the water they drink outside (and in lakes)...some of it has set for days and has all kinds of crud in it. I think it would be safe for birds.

Well one problem is any contaminants in the air may be "concentrated" in the water collected by the humidifier. While the outside water is dirty it may not be nearly as CONCENTRATED dirty as the water from the humidifier. I would stick with using it for plants etc..

I bet this is just a disclaimer placed on dehumidifiers to avoid any lawsuit. Any way, anytime I have extra water ready to be poured somewhere, instead of down the drain I use outside on the dead grass, plants or to flush a commode.

Portable Dehumidifier
Using Dehumidifiers
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterAugust 27, 2008
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Cutting a credit card with scissors.
Dealing With Credit Card Fraud
Dehumidifier
Energy Saving Tips for Using Dehumidifiers
🎉
🎄