Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing a Piece of Glass From Under the Skin

I have an embedded piece of glass that has been in my foot for 6 weeks. Now it is puffed a little over the spot and you can feel something, but I can't remove it with tweezers. Will it eventually come out or do I need to see a doctor? Thanks for your help and God bless!

By Debra from TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Nan Corpe [6]03/19/2011

If it's deep, go to the doctor or emergency room. Better to be safe than sorry.

By Anonymous [848]03/19/2011

Could we pretty please refrain from political views here and keep it as Susan, our ThriftyFun founder, formed this forum to be which is simply sharing advice of how to be wise yet thrifty?

By Louise B. [4]03/17/2011

Go to a doctor to have this removed.

By Kathryen [5]03/15/2011

My mother always put bread soaked in milk on our feet or hands when we got embedded glass, splinters, etc. She then wrapped strips of material around it to keep it on until the splinter or glass worked itself out.

By Beth [25]03/15/2011

Glass is one thing that will not work it way out. It will work itself in. You need to see a doctor to have it removed.

By Lisa K03/14/2011

I am with Doris, the drawing salve would be my first stop. It works awesome to take foreign objects out of the body. We once put it on a small child with a thorn so deep in her foot we couldn't get it out and we dug for it. We put on the drawing salve that looked like black tar, gooped it on put a bandaid on her and she took a nap. Exhausted from crying while we tried to dig it out. When she woke a couple hours latter we removed the bandaid and their was the thorn laying in the salve. A miracle. Have used it many times since. It's an underappreciated product.
I agree many people can not afford to go to the DR. and many people just don't like to unless it is the last resort. Good Luck!

By Anonymous [848]03/14/2011

I would definitely go see your doctor! Tiny glass shards can be especially dangerous if they happen to work their way into a blood vessel. They can tear the vessel and, worse yet, be pumped through your veins in to your arteries.

By Pam Griffis [4]03/14/2011

Last year I got a splinter in my finger that was too deep for me to remove. The splinter became encapsulated (a hard shell formed around it) and I had to have it removed by an orthopedic surgeon. I would definitely go see a doctor, as it has been in there so long. It might get infected.

By Helen [3]03/14/2011

A very old-fashioned remedy is a bread poultice! When I was little, my mother used these for similar problems. Just crumble some bread, add boiling water, and put it to the injury site, and keep it there till it cools. Perhaps let it cool a little first, you don't want to be scalded! It may take several goes, but eventually the heat draws the foreign body close to the surface so it can be extracted.

I am constantly surprised these days that people run to the doctor for the simplest of things that they could so easily sort out for themselves. And don't worry, you'd jolly well know if you had blood poisoning!

By Lee Anne Guryn [2]03/14/2011

Go to a Podiatrist. They are specialists in wound care of the feet. My daughter is a podiatrist and she often does surgery on people with things imbedded in their feet. Do not mess around you do not want to lose your foot or do injury to the nerves in your feet.

By Elizabeth03/14/2011

I would seek a doctor if it has been there for 6 weeks. You might have to have him/her remove it for you and medication for an infection if he/she deems it necessary. I had a friend whose Mom had sad consequences with a glass cut in her garden and did not seek medical help. Is your tetnus shot up to date?

By Lilac [18]03/14/2011

Infection can also cause blood poisening. Which can kill you. Now get to the doctor before that happens. Please!

By Rose [1]03/12/2011

This may not work but it worked for me when this happened to me. Put your foot in the hottest water you can stand. The tissue around the glass will swell and it you touch it lightly it may just pop out. I would not mess with it too much though, especially if this does not work. Infection could also help to remove the material. So if it flares let it flare some and when the infection drains you should get some relief. I am not a doctor so please get medical advise from a doctor. These are just suggestions from someone who cannot always afford to go to the doctor when other options are available.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing a Piece of Glass From Under the Skin

How do you draw a piece of glass out from under the skin?

By Shelby1 from Alamo, TX

RE: Removing a Piece of Glass From Under the Skin

At the bottom of thriftyfun's website is a disclaimer and no one ever reads it.

Disclaimer
ThriftyFun.com cannot accept any responsibility for any injury or damage that you may cause to yourself, others, or property when following any advice given on this site. ThriftyFun.com has no control of how you may use information you get from this site and does not attest to the validity of any information found within. Much of this information comes from third parties (newsletter readers and other contributers). Use advice found in our newsletters and on our site at your own risk. If you see something on Thrifty Fun that you disagree with or feel is ill advised, please let us know. Our goal is print only valuable information and advice. If you find any information on ThriftyFun that is either erroneous and/or potentially harmful to others, please contact us immediately.

My advice is to seek medical attention. (06/13/2010)

By MCW

Hold an ice cube or ice pack to the skin over the glass. Wait till that area is numb. Use a needle or a craft knife (small sharp knife of some sort) to cut the skin above the glass. Remove the glass. Treat with antiseptic and bandage.

Or, got to a doctor and let them do basically what I just explained with different tools. (06/13/2010)

By Suntydt

The old folks use to use tobacco poultices to draw things to the top like splinters. I don't know if it will work with glass. If it is very deep I'd see the doctor. A possible infection from such a wound is not good. Professional advise is always a good idea for embedded items. Should the area turn red and start stretching out see a doctor immediately. This is nothing to play around with if it gets to this stage. (06/15/2010)

By maphisx7

My mom always used an Epsom salt soak to help coax it out and then numbed it with an ice cube and worked it out with a pair of tweezers. Always clean it afterwards with hydrogen peroxide. (06/15/2010)

By Cupcake817

I have used the lining of an egg which when applied, begins to dry and shrink up. Seeking medical attention isn't always an option for some of the many who are uninsured.
Good luck!! (06/15/2010)

By Poor But Proud

If you can't find "drawing salve" at your pharmacy, try using bacon fat. Bacon fat works really good as a drawing agent. Many years ago my husband was in an accident and got small pieces of broken glass in the outer part of one ear. Of course it got infected and his father put bacon fat on it and all the glass was drawn out. (06/19/2010)

By Doris40