Use X-Rays For Doll Clothing Patterns

As I am a dressmaker, I always make my own patterns for dolls clothing. To have my patterns last forever, I use all my old X-rays. Put on a white sticker to write on so you can easily find it's back.

By Sara from Australia

Here in the states, we don't get to keep our x-rays. But that is a good idea. We must have some type of material here that could be used instead.

What is it that you do with the x-rays?

My grandmother worked at a hospital and brought home *stacks and stacks* of old X-rays. They creeped me out as a kid, but as I got older they fascinated me. She used the acetate to make stencils, and many times used it as templates for quilting. Having to cut out the same shape over and over again was much easier with a reuseable "pattern" or template. She would cut out the shape needed from the acetate and label it with the dimensions, and what pattern she used it for.

I can see how this would work well for reusable doll clothing patterns too!

X-rays are actually the property of the doctor, you pay for the time to take them. Most medical offices sell old ones to a company that extracts the silver from them and gives the silver bar to the physician. I used to clean the x-ray processor and had to run plain film through to make sure the x-rays wouldn't have streaks on them. I saved the plain, clear film for quilting patterns. Worked great.

Yes, we do not get to keep our x-rays in the US usually. I have found other sources of flat plastic are the stiffener plastic piece used in the bacon packages. It's large enough to make a stencil or doll pattern piece on. I keep my eyes open for reusable 'trash' and actually buy items at the store that are packaged so the containers, carboard or other packaging can be reused.

Please don't do that. This is a violation of HIPPA and the owner is the person who had the x-rays taken, they paid for them.

As far as using x-rays for anything, if the images you take state that you need to return to the hospital or drs office then yes they are the property of that place.

But If you have asked for a copy of your images, as for your personal records, then those copies are yours to save or make ornaments, stencils etc, if you want.

Of course now everything is going digital so everyone get their own images copied on a CD, If you request copies. You get to keep those or give to your doctor if needed+ (its probably a good idea though to keep your medical records intact)

All sorts of cool things can be made with unused CDs too! all those free CDs for marketing are a great resource.

Sewing Patterns
Making Your Own Sewing Patterns
Crafts Toys DollmakingMay 13, 2008
Pink Doll Sweater
Crocheted Doll Sweater Patterns
Chihuahua Clothing Patterns
Crochet hook and a red ball of yarn.
Clothing Patterns for a Ken Doll
Doll House
Miniature Crochet Patterns for Doll House Accessories