Browsing: Decorating Dishes

Decorating Melamine Plates

My daughter is wanting to decorate melamine plates for Passover to send to Jewish troops overseas. Any idea what kind of paints or markers that could be used? Mary Weiss

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I don't think you want anything that sticks to melamine near your food. I can see why you don't want to send glass or ceramic, but I don't have a solution.

Go to your local paint/hobby store and ask them which paints would work, both for food safety and also for ability to be painted on the melamine. The really important thing to remember is that you need to prepare the melamine BEFORE painting so that the paint will adhere to the smooth surface or your picture will literally fall off. On smooth surfaces I spray a clear matte finish but it gives a cloudy/foggy effect to the piece which I don't mind. But there are glass paints out there, ones which can be applied to glass or plexiglass, that will give the effect of a stained glass picture, without glass and leading being used. You can find some really simple pictures or symbols on the internet that would lend themselves to being used on plates. Just a simple picture in the center of the plate. But check for durability and toxicisity (? spelling?) (you know what I mean) of the paints first.

DecoArt makes a paint that I really like. Patio Paints are fade resistant, weatherproof, NON-TOXIC, self sealing (no varnish needed overtop of them after) and easy to use. They come in 2 oz. containers. You would have to etch the surface of the plate so that the Patio Paint would adhere to the surface. Enquire in your area whether you can purchase them.

I stumbled across this while looking for product reviews...I thought I'd mention you can order kits from Amazon or find them at your local craft store, you get the paper pattern which you send away and the company will reproduce it onto a melamine plate.

As far as I can find its safe.

They also have plastic ware with a "pocket" you can slip designs into.

DID YOUR DAUGHTER EVER MAKE THE PLATES? IF SO WHAT DID YOU USE FOR PAINT? I WANT TO DO THE SAME THING AROUND THE RIM OF THE PLATE. BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE THE PLATES.

My kids painted plates 10 years ago and they have been in the dishwasher nearly every day since. They are still as bright and fresh as when they were new!

The local school or playgroup organised it. They used normal crayons on special paper on which they drew their creative pictures. These were then sent off to the plate manufacture who baked them or whatever into the surface.

A wonderful momento of kids art talents.

I am also looking for the "kits" or info on purchasing the melamine plate kits that kids decorate themselves. My two grown sons did them in school years ago and they are my most treasured "china" and now I have a young daughter who I'd like to make one so I can have a complete set. I tried Amazon.com with no luck. I am on my way to A.C. Moore but I'd appreciate any suggestions, in case they don't have the kits. Thanks!

You can order your kit at www.makit.com or call 800-248-9443. They have a catalog.

Can you just use permanent markers to decorate these plates?

Decorated Mug
Decorating Dishes
Crafts AdviceFebruary 5, 2005
License Plates Decorating a Wall
Crafts Using License Plates
Uses for Paper Plates
Uses for Paper Plates
Paper Plates
Reinforcing Paper Plates
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 3:21:13 AM on 10.0.1.124 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.