Organizing Christmas Decorations for Storage

I am getting ready to put up the Christmas wreaths, ornaments, etc. Does anyone have a good way to organize the stuff in the bins before they go up in the attic?

By Fun Nay Nay from Austin, TX

I have used plastic shoe boxes for breakable ornaments. I also make use of large plastic zip lock bags for unbreakable ornaments, candles or other small miscellaneous. I wrap my lights around rolled up newspaper, junk mail or magazines. It's good to just generally separate things as best you can, lights in one box, ornaments in another. Depends on how much you have of course. Get a system in other words and stick to it each year.

last year I bought clear plastic bins with red tops. I put ornaments in one and all other decorations in the other bins. I made a list on the computer of the items in each bin and taped it to the inside of the bin. I made sure that the labels were facing me when I put them away. This year, it was so easy to see what was in each bin. Good luck

This is a tip I was planning to enter for contest, but I'll tell you first: save egg cartons for ornament storage. The breakable ones should be considered first for this type of storage, of course, with other ornaments and items that would fit in the egg-sized compartments next. The filled egg cartons should stack well in the storage bins, and should protect your treasures.

Glass Christmas Ornaments in a Box
Storing Christmas Ornaments
Holidays and Parties Christmas OrganizationDecember 29, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Santa gourds.
Homemade Christmas Decorations