Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Making Ice Cream Without Heavy Whipping Cream

How do I make homemade ice cream without heavy cream?

By Hazel from Opelika, AL

By Anonymous [848]02/23/2011

Substitute with plain yogurt but not with low fat yogurt.

By Cindy Strouse02/23/2011

I've used fat-free half & half and even non-dairy creamers. The ice cream has a texture more like ice milk, but is still very flavorful. I, also, have used evaporated milk.

By anne [10]02/22/2011

I have a sherbert recipe that we love that I got from Southern Living magazine many years ago. It calls for raspberries but I use whatever fruit I have in the freezer or fresh. It is as follows:
2 cups fruit, 1 cup sugar, 2 cups buttermilk (I keep powdered buttermilk on hand just for this recipe), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Put all of this in a blender or food processor, then pour into a Cuisinart ice cream maker.(Don't know how this will work with other ice cream makers) It will be done in about 35 minutes. It will be a bit soft, but you can put leftovers in the freezer and next time you can have it a bit more firm. There won't be too many leftovers though. No guilt either!

By meloney02/19/2011

We often make ice-cream using canned milk like Carnation evaporated or a store brand. It's rich and very good. It adapts very well to any flavor and even using canned fruit like peaches, the results are great.

SuziQ 9

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making Ice Cream Without Heavy Whipping Cream

I am looking for recipes for making ice cream in an ice cream maker. Everything that I have found so far asks for heavy whipping cream, and it is so expensive. Are there any recipes out there that use common ingredients. I picked up a brand new ice cream maker at a garage sale for $.50, and would love to use it. Thanks for the ideas in advance.

Stacy from El Paso, IL

RE: Making Ice Cream Without Heavy Whipping Cream

Walmarts in TX have a mix that only calls for whole milk. I believe it is 2.00 and they have all flavors. (08/02/2006)

By Randa

Use Half and Half with whole milk. It's good! (08/02/2006)

By Nicole

Here are some recipes in my file, I have not tried them:

Ice Cream

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

1 (14 oz.) 1 can Eagle Brand milk
  • 1 cup pureed or mashed strawberries
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • red food coloring, optional

In ice cream freezer container, combine all ingredients; mix well. Follow freezer instructions. Freeze leftovers.

Vanilla Ice Cream: Omit fruit and food coloring. Decrease half and half to 2 cups; add 2 cups unwhipped whipping cream. Increase vanilla to 2 Tbsp. Proceed as above.

Kool-Aid Sherbet

Here is a frugal recipe for Kool-Aid Sherbet the kids will love:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 envelope of any flavor unsweetened Kool-Aid
  • 3 cups milk

Blend above ingredients and freeze for 1 hour. Remove from freezer and blend until smooth. Refreeze. Yummy!

Home-made Ice Cream

• 3 lg. cans evaporated milk
  • 1 qt. whole milk
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • sugar (2 c. or to taste)

Combine evaporated milk and whole milk in a double boiler or a thick-bottomed sauce pan. Start this mixture on "low" heat. When milk has begun to steam add some of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs and pour this mixture into the remainder of the heated milk. Gradually add sugar to taste. Cook over moderate heat until this begins to thicken.

NOTE: This mixture will scorch or stick to pan if not watched carefully. Let cool and add vanilla and favorite fruit. For example if pineapple is used, pour 1 large can and 1 small can (including juice) into cooked custard. Pour in freezer and freeze. (08/02/2006)

By Pat

Big Red Ice Cream

I love this on nice warm days and it is not hard to make.

• 1 can Carnation sweet condensed milk
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries or pack of frozen without sugar
  • 1 large bottle of strawberry crush soda, I can't remember if it is one or two liter bottle; buy the big one and use as much as you need and drink the rest (it's the 2 liter)
  • 1 packet of Sweet and Low sweeter

Put the condensed milk, strawberries, and sweetener in blender and add soda a little at a time so as not to foam over. I've done that a lot and had to clean up the mess. Blend well. Now pour into your ice-cream freezer and add soda to fill line. Now you are ready to close up and start your machine. Mine is automatic and cuts off when ice-cream is ready. You will know the instructions for yours. You can also use peach soda and peaches. Use your imagination. It freezes well if you don't use it all at once. (08/02/2006)

By jesij

To lower the fat content of the ice cream, substitute low-fat milk for whole milk, whole milk for half and half, and evaporated skim milk for whipping cream. Using lower fat content ingredients will affect the texture of the ice cream. Higher fat content ingredients produce a richer, creamier, and smoother ice cream.

Check out this website too!
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-17-1133/Make-Homemade.asp (08/02/2006)

By mef1957

I got this recipe from Southern Living Magazine.
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 tbl sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Make according to your instructions, it's great! Makes 1 quart, and is easily doubled.

The chocolate recipe is as follows:

• 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • 2 cups chocolate milk
  • 1 cup chocolate syrup

Mix according to directions of your maker. It's great; tastes like a Wendy's Frosty. You do not cook this recipe. (08/03/2006)

By Deb T

• 2 cups 3.25% milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla essence

Directions: Mix well to dissolve the sugar. Add 2 and a half cups of 18% cream. Mix well. Put in ice cream maker. If wanted you can add half a cup of cocoa powder to this mixture before it goes into the machine to make this vanilla ice cream into chocolate ice cream. I'm going to experiment using evaporated milk instead of the cream; it might just work. (10/29/2007)

By Maureen