AppliancesCleaning

How Do I Clean Moldy Smell from Top Load Washer?

How do I get the moldy smell out of my top loading washing machine?

By Karen from McCleary, WA

Best thing is not to get a moldy smell to begin with. Always leave the lid open when the machine is not in use and you won't get the smell. It's too late now, I know, but do that once you get it cleaned. There are some cleaners on the market sold specifically for cleaning washers.

A home remedy is to do a full load of wash (use some old rags or let it wash empty) using hot water and 2 cups of bleach. No soap. Use 2 cups of vinegar in the final rinse. Repeat as needed.

Use vinegar in your fabric softener slot. I use Vinegar in place of fabric softener except when I have things that I want the perfumed smell on (i.e. sheets)sheets. Vinegar won't smell on your wash and it gets rid of the mildew. Also clean your top loading detergent compartments as well as you can with vinegar. Use white vinegar.