Do I Have to Process Canned Foods if I Use Self Sealing Lids?

With self sealing lids, do you have to process canned foods in a boiling water bath?

By Diane from Toronto

The purpose of processing canned goods in the boiling water bath is to help preserve it. Just the sealing of the lid isn't enough for certain types of food.

I learned to do the hot water canning bath this summer. It's very easy to do. I recommend buying the Ball Canning set for approximately $6.00 (Walmart) which includes the jar lifter, lid magnet, funnel, etc., everything you need except a large pot. It's worth the extra effort for your safety and the safety of those you share your products with. Good luck.

If you want you family to enjoy what you have made, and don't want them to become deathly ill due to food poisoning, it's advisable to follow with a water bath to ensure the safety of the food. I have read some recipes which are given on the internet which don't include this step, but this is not a good idea! I boil all my clean jars in the microwave for 10 minutes. I simmer the lids and screw caps prior to canning. Good luck.

Food and Recipes CanningAugust 18, 2010
Man Greeting the Dawn
Building Self Confidence and Self Esteem
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Plastic Lid Man
Crafts Using Plastic Lids