How do I get rid of Moths in the carpets?

We had moved out of town for a few years and had our house rented out to various renters. Now we are back and the carpets, etc all have moths (the clothes moths not the flying kind). I know moths don't like cedar, tomato leaves, etc., and that may work for places like the closets, but what about the carpets? We can't afford new carpets at this time. We've steamed cleaned them, etc., but have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any solutions that may help?

Looking in a pest control book for an answer, my husband (who's getting his Master's Degree in Entomology--insects) found the following information. First, the book recommended using an INDUSTRIAL GRADE vacuum cleaner. Possibly try checking with a Pest Control agency to see if they have such a vacuum, or possibly a cleaning agency that does commercial grade cleaning.

You might want to ask the Pest Control agency to see if they have any pheromone traps that will attract the adults, too. This will get rid of the adult females that will continue to lay eggs. Or they may recommend a surface treatment for the carpet. (Have them test it in an inconspicuous area first.)

The book says "Upholstered furniture can also support clothes moth larvae on the outer surface between the rows of pile and underside. Regular vacuuming of these areas on susceptible furniture can help infestation and damage."

Good luck! I hope this helps!

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try!

When I moved into my house it was full of moths. After about 6 months of using crushed bay leaves on the carpet they were gone.

An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
Home and Garden Pest Control MothsNovember 18, 2004
Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Getting Rid of a Moth Infestation
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum