Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

I have 2 three month old pups who keep getting fleas. I have washed them every 10 days with an oatmeal flea and tick shampoo, but it seems to be wearing thin. I'm not sure what to do for them because they are only 3 months old. How old do they have to be to wear a flea collar, or for the medication?

Please help. This is our first ever problem with fleas.

By Kendall from CO

My dog had issues with fleas for years, and was allergic to pretty much everything I tried, including oatmeal flea wash. Then I planted pennyroyal in our garden and placed clippings of pennyroyal under her mattress. No more fleas!! You can also put sprigs of pennyroyal in oil (like canola oil) and let it sit for a week or so, and then dab the oil on all the flea zones of the puppies (ears, neck, tail etc). Because they scratch, their skin gets irritated. Washing only irritates it more. Since I put pennyroyal clippings under my dog's mattress in her kennel, I have not seen her scratch once. Fleas hate the stuff!

My vet is really excited about Comfortis, since it doesn't go directly onto their skin and is apparently bacteria based. You can start using this when your puppies are 4 months old. Check it out and see what you think:

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/default.aspx

No poisons please. Dry borax in the carpets. Build their immune system.

Make sure you are vacuuming the carpet every other day. This is so you are getting eggs and newly hatched fleas.

Take your puppies to the Vet. They have a flea treatment that is safe for puppies because their skin is so sensitive.

My puppies had fleas from their mother and one treatment is all they needed.

DO NOT use over the counter flea treatment or flea treatment for older dogs. This stuff will burn the puppy's skin.

I have 5 dogs and two cats. This is nothing new for my family, we have always had at least 3 pets at a time. So fleas, ticks, worms..... etc. is not new to me. I also know how important it is to keep your pet free of these pesty, little things. In all the years that I have had pets inside and outside our home, we have been where we are now for well over 10 years, I have never had such a struggle! I take our pets to the vets (NOT CHEAP, thats why I work so hard to NOT let my pets get these things!) and not even their meds are working. Someone said something about COMFORTIS, it did not work for us. We dose all animals at the same time and do the house as well. Until now, I have never had them infested in my home or jump on one of us from the furniture or seen my poor animals so miserable. They have given us 3 types of flea and tick meds, pills and drops. I have resorted to stinky collars, not working. I have vacumed carpets, furniture, curtains. Ive mopped, shampooed and did the same to the pets. The wont go near ANY running water. They wont even let me pet them, they are probably sore from the flea comb and flea picking! I have discovered that Dawn dish liquid is like liquid, blue, duct tape! I read that about the Dawn soap bath on here, I also read about the vasoline trick on here, it worked great. I havent tried spreading salt everywhere just yet, it might kill some fleas but not before my dogs go crazy trying to lick in out of the floor and such. Im also going to try the Pennyroyal plants and products. Im currently trying to find where I might find the plants, Im sure they carry the other Pennyroyal products in pet stores (did not find it at Walmart.com) or on line. Im hoping to be able to plant them in my yard, that has got to be where they are coming from. My lawn guy told me he could spay some chemical all over the lawn that would kill them for a bit but Im out in the country, we walk and hike and play in a nearby creek, I cant spray it everywhere, especially near a water source, it feeds into a river. There is also a small stream right next to my house that I would be worried about. I would worry about spraying a chemical anyway and be a pretty niave pet owner to think that would resolve the problem. My vet called the fleas "superfleas" and said they are really bad this year and extremely hard to get rid of. So far so good on the Dawn dish soap, love that stuff! I did the entire house, all furniture, blankets, pet beds... etc. I must have wore them out or they are finally flea free, because evey one of my dogs are sound a sleep. I could have a houseful of squirrels and Im certain they would not even blink!

I use baking soda on all my floors and furniture. I spread it into corners, the edges of floor and walls. I leave it for several hours then sweep up the powder in the middle of the rooms. I leave the test for 2 days then vacuum. Keep cleaning the vacuum filter so it doesn't clog. The dust settles into the crevices where fleas hide and breed. I also powder my animals with it after they are dry from their baths. This stuff is not toxic. It kills fleas by suffocating them.

November 18, 2011 Flag

My puppies are only 10 weeks, but badly invested with fleas from their mum. Is there anything I can use on them to help them at this very young age?

By A.J.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

No,

Dawn is dangerous for puppies, went to the vet over it. It takes all of the natural oils and things out of coat. Do Not Use Dawn

Wash them in the old plain dawn dishsoap, lather well and let sit for a short time, when they are rinsed, comb with a flea comb, ( very cheap ) ...no more fleas!

20 Mule team Borax in carpets (dry about 2 cups per average size room) Leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum because of flea development from egg to larvae to adult. Spread Borax, wash their bed. Shampoo the kittens and the Mom. If Mom goes outside treat yard with cedercide granules (inexpensive and natural) purchased online. When you shampoo you need to flea comb head area because of age of the babies. Rinse well. You don't want suckling on teets that still have shampoo on them. Use common sense in everything you do. No poisons please. Poisons may kill fleas but kill the animal in the long run.

I would wash them with baby shampoo and peroxide being careful not to get any in their eyes or ears. You can also use dawn and water. I always use dawn and water for kittens. I am sure it is easier to bathe a pup. Always do not really get any soap on their face or ears, as it can cause infections from moistness. I always put a ring of soap around the neck to catch fleas from climbing into their eyes and ears.

Either way, it is good to wash them in dawn anyway and rinse it off. Make sure they are dry and don't run around damp and get sick.

For your house, you can do like I always do. Sprinkle salt all over the carpets and furniture and grind it in with a broom. Under the bed sheets, etc. in the couches. Fleas don't like salt.

Then leave it for a while. You can even put blankets over it where the puppies will be walking.

Also Advantage is great for dogs over seven months. You can pick it up at the vets. It depends on how many puppies you have. It is expensive to take care of pets the way they should be taken care of. I should know, I keep taking in hard luck cases, but we are happy!

Here are some links you might find helpful!

http://www.ehow.com/way_5407816_flea-puppies-under-12-weeks.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html

Here, also is a video showing how to bathe a puppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WELM_82x3zg

Blessings, Robyn

Dawn dishwashing liquid .

Does dawn work for 6 week old pitbulls

August 23, 2010 Flag

What will happen if I use flea spray on my 10 week old puppy? What kind should I use?

By regismom41 from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

Use Advantix or Frontline from the vet. It is safe for puppies and is applied where they can't ingest it. If you use a spray or powder they can ingest it when the lick themselves.

Usually if you are already an established customer at your vet they will sell it to you, no visit needed. (07/08/2009)

By Opal1013

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

I agree with Opal, but have something to add. Even if you aren't an established customer they will recommend something to you. The counter/front person can't diagnose things, but if you ask for something for a specific problem (flea control, ear mite meds.) they can recommend.
Frontline makes a spray. You can use rubber gloves and spray your hand then rub it onto the pup. (07/08/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 7, 2009 Flag

What's a safe at home flea treatment for a 6 week old puppy?

Sue from Columbus, GA

Answers:

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

Dawn dishwashing liquid. Period. (04/17/2007)

By Monica

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

Don't take chances with your puppy's health. Check with a reputable vet. (04/17/2007)

By Robin

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

After you bathe the dog with Dawn dish washing liquid try Avon Skin so Soft mixed with water and used as a dip. (01/08/2008)

By Pam

Safe Flea Treatment for Puppies

Baby shampoo works really well. It does kill fleas and all you have to do is brush the fleas off the puppies after the shampoo is on the dog 6-8 minutes.

If the puppies have really bad fleas you should probably do the bath suggestion two times, or do it just in case. After you give them the bath you might want to change their beds or clean them. If it has not worked it should be recommended to ask a vet what you should do. (11/28/2008)

By Kristina

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 23, 2010
Dog With Her Puppies
Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Adult Male Dog and a Puppy
Adult Male Dogs and Newborn Puppies
🎉
🎄