Making Small Kitchen Appliance Covers

Category Kitchen
Keep your small kitchen appliances clean and bright up the room with colorful, decorative covers. This is a guide about making small kitchen appliance covers.

Living in a small home, my stand mixer has to be left out on the counter. To make it sort of blend in, I made a cover out of a towel.

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Instructions:

There are several ways to do this.

Fold a towel end to end and sew down both ends making a pillow case to slip down over your mixer. It is that simple.

Another way - Lay two small hand towels wrong sides together and stitch down one end, across the long side and back down the other short end. You have now quickly made a cover for your stand mixer.

Make sure to measure your mixer before you purchase your towels to make sure they are big enough and then decide which way you want to go.

You might want to use a small bath towel, fold it in half end to end and cut off the extra. Then just sew the two open edges. Save the extra and make a potholder by folding it over several times and sewing around the edges.

Could easily be hand sewn.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

Great idea. Thanks. I'm on my way to make one because they're so expensive to buy.

To keep small appliances covered, when not plugged in, use kitchen towels pinned together with safety pins to form a cover. Place the pins under the towels so they are hidden. Wash when needed, keeping the pins intact.

By mkymlp from NE PA

You can save money by making your own small kitchen appliance covers. I use vinyl table covers to make sturdy, wipe clean small kitchen appliance covers.

I have made everything from toaster and blender covers to air poppers (for popping corn) with it. I especially love the wipe clean factor as I do a lot of baking and wow does my little hand mixer like to send splatter all over the work area!

You can also buy the vinyl off the roll at most larger crafting stores. The rolls come table width so buy a yard (or metre if you're here in the UK) of it and you have enough to make covers for everything in your kitchen! I don't try to "stitch and turn" by sewing right sides together with this fabric. Instead I seam wrong sides together then use seam binding tape in a complimentary or matching colour.

My latest set is made from a mouth watering photographic print of strawberries and blueberries. I had enough left over to make a nice apron too (pattern and instructions for the apron can be found at the below link too. Just click around to find the apron info).

Free patterns and instructions for sewing the covers using all kinds of fabrics can be found here:

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa011801a.htm

Source: The lovely Guide at about.com's sewing pages:)

By FrugalSunnie from Scotland

Does anyone have patterns for making the covers for small kitchen appliances like the toaster, blender, etc.?

By M. Jeffers from TX