Planting a Ylang Ylang Tree

Q: I just got a Ylang Ylang tree. It was purchased by a friend who lives in South FL. We live near the beach in Central FL and I am wondering if it is salt-tolerant It is a zone 10 tree. I would have liked to plant it in Citrus County where we have land, but I am concerned it might not survive the cold winters there. It's about 5-10 Degrees colder there in winter. Does anyone know anything about this fragrant tree? I know the flowers are used to make perfumes and such.

Thanks all,
A. Papaya from Central Florida

A: Papaya,

I'm not at all familiar with this tree, but is sure it a beauty. From what my research turned up, in its native habitat (Polynesia, Micronesia, Melanesia and the Indo-Malayan region) the average temperatures of the coldest months are in the range from 50-64ºF. I also found material estimating the minimum temperature tolerance for the ylang ylang tree is 41ºF. This is contrary to the 30-35ºF minimum temperatures of zone 10a, but there are microclimates and other factors to consider. You may have some wiggle room, but just how much, of course, is the big question. My best advice is to contact reputable nursery or an extension agency close to where you want to plant the tree. They should be able to tell you whether or not there are others growing successfully in the area.

Good Luck!

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Check out this site, it gives a lot of info on ylang ylang trees. I would love one, but it would not not survive in my area (5). Lucky you!

The flower of the Ylang Ylang Tree is used to make Chanel No. 5. Except for the alcohol and the added power of its oils- the flower smells nearly identical to the perfume. The scent is softer and I think more pleasing than that of the perfume!! Everyone who has encountered my tree loves the scent! I have a dwarf Ylang Ylang that is doing well in Naples, FL. The tree is best suited for zones 10-11, but I have read it can handle 9b as well.

Home and Garden Gardening TreesJuly 12, 2006
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing a Crepe Myrtle Tree
Growing carrots and other vegetables.
Planting Vegetables Together
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree