WildlifeGreen Living

I Saw a White Deer

Has anyone seen an all white deer? I spotted one in the woods by my house and I still can't believe it. I tried to get a picture, but my camera doesn't take good distance pictures. I'm afraid no one else believes me either, but I did see it.

By Robbie from IN

Yes, I believe you. I live in Oregon and there is one here that was adopted by a family and there was a big to-do about it. I remember reading about one near Minn, I think, too. You could no doubt google it.

That is awesome! Put some deer food out there and watch, when it comes snap a picture. I would like to see it!

I'm from Oregon too and remember that white deer! Animal Planet just this week had a special on albinos and white critters---not all white ones are albinos, the true albino deer fawn they had on the show only lived a short while, I think 3 months.

True albinos usually have other medical problems that wipe them out. {the fawn on the show had joint deformaties and some problems processing food & they said that is common}

I can't remember the other term they used for white animals who have a black nose and colored eyes {altho the albino deer on the show had blue eyes!}, anyway, if they have a black nose and dark eyes they are not true albinos and they at least have a chance to live even tho they don't have the necessary camouflage to hide, they don't have the other medical problems that usually afflict true albino animals.

I got an email about a month ago that showed a mother elk or moose with 2 white babies! Maybe global warming is doing some of this? Here are some albino critters:

http://www.tele  e-alligator.html

I once saw one too, here in NJ. I believe it's called an albino deer, very beautiful. I didn't have a camera unfortunately, but I still remember how amazing it looked.

We have the occasional one here in Manitoba, Canada, as well. They are truly beautiful!

Yep, it happens. Do be careful who you tell, 'cause somebody will go shoot it.

Yup when I lived in new york my parents had deer in the back yard all the time and once they had a white one. They are for real!

Here in Roseburg Oregon I saw a mostly white fawn on my pasture. Had a brown spot on it's side and brown on part of it's head. Beautiful. I am told they are sacred to Indian tribal culture. See my post about fawns and others being born and hatched without eyeballs.

I got that email too with the two babies. Another place that has the white squirrels is in Olney, Illinois.

I have seen one here in TN. Others have been seen here too. They truly are beautiful!

I live near a military base that has quite a few deer, even a white one or two. They are amazing.