Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Open Concept Kitchen

I am really struggling with choosing a paint colour for my open concept kitchen. I have light maple cabinets with black molding and black appliances. The counter top is pictured however it is much darker looking than the picture shows. As well, the grey looking colour in the counter top almost appears blue when you look at it.

The kitchen is on an interior wall of a townhome so it doesn't get much natural light. The colour of the attached living room is irrelevant as I am in the process of painting that also and am open to any suggestions on a theme as a whole. I am replacing the furniture so my options are endless.

Nikki from Ontario, Canada

I am a color consultant at a paint store. If I could see a few pictures of the kitchen itself, I might be able to help.

Thanks for the response Leen! I will be sure to grab some pictures of my actual kitchen and post them shortly. In the meantime, here is an example (from the internet) that is pretty close in colour to my cabinets. The only difference is that all my kitchen cabinet hardware is black.

I recommend picking up the lightest colour in the bench top, it appears to be a latte or almond colour, both these colours would look great and given you dont get much light in this room, the light will reflect off these colours back into your kitchen. Good luck with it all. Also a latte/almond colour wont date, and is certainly more modern than beige.

I would actually suggest a light wall paper that had a fine black in it somewhere to split the difference between the maple and the black. There are great patterns out there now. Or you could do some sort of light faux stone/marble finish with fine black lines.