Almond Coconut Bars

Regarding the Almond Joy Bars recipe submitted by "one.of.a.kind": Why does the recipe need paraffin added to the chocolate? I've never cooked with it except to make jams the "old fashioned way" before we had special jam jars.

By Anne-Marie from Taos, NM

It helps the consistency of the chocolate, decreases the "blooming" (where the cocoa butter comes to the surface and looks yukky), and makes it look a little shinier and prettier. You could make it without; but it really makes for a prettier product. You can use fresh canning wax; and you really don't use much--it is perfectly safe. When she says 2 inch square, I expect she means a 2 inch square form one of the "slices" in the box--not like a cube.

The paraffin also helps keep the chocolate from melting as quickly while you're holding it to eat it ;-)

April 6, 2010 Flag

This is a recipe that my family has enjoyed for years. I love Almond Joy candy bars, but they never put enough almonds on them for me. This is the closest recipe that I have found for the Almond Joy candy bars, and I can put as many almonds as I want.

• 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light cream
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 3-oz. package cream cheese
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 3 cups coconut
  • 1 1/2 cups almond halves
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 lbs chocolate chips
  • 2" square piece of paraffin (shave paraffin into small slivers for easier melting).

Directions:

Line an 8x8x2 baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil, set pan aside. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, cream, and butter. Cook over medium heat to dissolve sugar, about 8 minutes. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Remove from heat.

Add cream cheese, stir until smooth. Add powdered sugar, coconut, almonds, and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Spread mixture into prepared pan.

Chill until firm. When firm, lift foil to remove candy from pan. Cut candy into 2x1 inch rectangles. Melt chocolate chips and paraffin together. Pour mixture over candy; or dip candy pieces into melted chocolate. (Pouring the chocolate over the candy is the way that I usually do it, it's much less messy.)

Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
You will love this recipe if you are a fan of Almond Joy candy bars.

Source: Favorite recipe of my family. (I have made this recipe for so many years, I don't know where the original recipe came from. )

By one.of.a.kind from Locust Fork, AL

Answers:

Almond Coconut Bars

I also love Almond Joys and agree they don't have enough almonds. Going to try your recipe, however, am going to ditch the paraffin. I would rather have a candy bar where the chocolate melts too fast than be eating a petroleum product. Actually, this recipe was an eye opener as to how many food products contain it when Googling about it. Anyway, giving you a thumbs up for the recipe regardless of the one ingredient I'll be deleting. (02/09/2010)

By Deeli

Almond Coconut Bars

Why does the recipe need paraffin added to chocolate?

Editor's Note: Paraffin is often added to chocolate recipes as a preservative and to keep the chocolate firm and shiny. It is sold with the baking and canning supplies. (04/06/2010)

By Emanuelli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
A photo of shredded coconut, one of the ingredients in coconut bars.
Coconut Bar Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CandiesApril 6, 2010
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Almonds
Making Homemade Almond Extract
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
Almond Crescent Cookies
Almond Crescent Cookies
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 21, 2017 at 8:11:41 PM on 10.0.1.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.