Mold on a Shower Curtain

I need ideas as to how I could successfully remove the black mould that collects at the bottom of a plastic shower curtain. Thanks.

By kevmacker from Southport Merseyside, U.K.

Soak the shower curtain in vinegar, scrub it down with a mildew cleaning spray or just some water and soap then let nature take charge by hanging it out in the sun for a while.

Wash your curtain in the washing machine with bleach (more than you would a load of clothes) and soap. (Watch it carefully, of course). (Do not dry in dryer, of course). It might need more than one washing. You could also just pour bleach and add water and soak in the tub, it's just easier in the washing machine.

I take my shower curtain out on my deck, lay it down and scrub it with bleach using a long handle brush. Then hose off the bleach and mold, hang it over the railing until dry.

I cut off the bottom edge hem with pinking shears. This allows all the water to drain quickly and it will be longer before mildew forms. I also use a daily shower cleaner spray I get at the dollar store and spray it on the curtain as well as the walls and tub.

Personally I would throw it away. A shower curtain liner is about 2.00. Buy a nice curtain and keep it on the outside of the tub. Let the liner fall inside. When the liner gets moldy throw it away. Mold is not healthy so it isn't thrifty to mess with it. Some things just have to be thrown away.

I toss mine in the washer with a couple of white towels and a cup of bleach. The towels rub on the shower curtain and help to clean it. Hope this helps.

June 15, 2010 Flag

Black moldy stains are appearing near the bottom of my vinyl shower curtain. I tried to wash it off in the laundry machine once with bleach, but the stains were only pale, not gone. Any suggestions, like soaking it in bathtub water with bleach, etc.?

George from Milwaukee, WI

Answers:

Mold on a Shower Curtain

I buy cheap shower curtain liners for $1.00 at Dollar Tree. I made a fabric shower curtain out of a flat bed sheet for the outer curtain. (03/03/2009)

By MCW

Mold on a Shower Curtain

I have great success when I soak the liner with hot water and a soap/bleach mix in the washer. The longer it soaks the better and then it continues on its own on a gentle cycle. I've had my present liner for about 4 years already. (03/03/2009)

By mountainbrd

Mold on a Shower Curtain

This is the easiest way I remove mildew from my shower curtain. I use a mixture of bleach and water in a plastic spray bottle. I spray the areas that have mildew. (You can leave it hanging on the shower rod to do this). Let it soak until the mildew disappears and then rinse. (03/03/2009)

By dixie35481

Mold on a Shower Curtain

I got tired of the same problem and also washed my vinyl liner in the washing machine, but found that it gets beat up after a few washings.

I switched to a polyester fabric liner, available for about $20 at home improvement/building supply stores. I think the polyester is good because of it's characteristic for drying quickly. It still develops mildew spots, but at a much slower rate. Pretreat those spots with stain remover and wash it in the washing machine about every 3 months. My current liner is 4 yrs old.

I think a really thrifty person could get a large polyester tablecloth on clearance and convert it to a liner, however the weight of my current liner is thinner than most tablecloths. (03/03/2009)

By Coacha67

Mold on a Shower Curtain

Go to Dollar Tree and buy yourself a new one for one dollar. Its well worth the money spent and much less trouble. (03/04/2009)

By Carol in PA

Mold on a Shower Curtain

I agree that if you have to spend a lot of time and money to clean the old one, buying a new, cheap one makes more sense. Since you've tried to get the mold out, it's got to be pretty clean even if the stains aren't out.

So with that in mind, don't throw it out. Fold it up and store it for when someone needs a large plastic piece. Roofing tarp? Something to place under a blanket for a litter of puppies? Plastic liner for the trunk of your car? I even had to use one to cover a window when my son's car was broken into.

Anyway, keep it for a rainy day. (03/04/2009)

By fab4mom

Mold on a Shower Curtain

Whether you are able to get the mold stain out or have to purchase a new one, the secret to not getting that mold problem at all in the first place is to have it in a drier environment. Always pull the curtain and/or liner out of the tub after showering so that it's hanging outside of the tub where there's no moisture and leave it out until using the shower again. It is not going to drip buckets of water on your floor if that's what you might worry about. I haven't had a mold problem for years by doing this. (03/04/2009)

By Deeli

Mold on a Shower Curtain

Throw a couple of old towels in the washer with your curtain. They "scrub" off the mold while it washes. (03/04/2009)

By jillian357

Mold on a Shower Curtain

Spray half-strength bleach on it. Works in less than a minute. Then keep it away by helping it to dry faster. (03/04/2009)

By kimhis

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 15, 2010
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎉
🎄